HELP Immuno problem, thats bothered me forever

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDoc4

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay,

Here it is

At 24 hours after the development of an infection (insert any generic one you want here), which cell predominates at the site of the wound?

A) Neutrophils
B) Macrophages

C) Who cares
D) DNPs

PLEASE, can someone tell me which cell is suppose to predominate at a generic wound/infection at 24 hrs

My understanding is 1-2 days (24-48 hrs) neutrophils, 3days>, Macrophages, but I feel as though I have seen conflicting info on this.
Yes, I know it varies depending on if your in the heart, brain, etc, but I feel as though I have talking about a general (say skin, infection).

Members don't see this ad.

So I've usually seen first 24h is PMN. After that it's Macrophages. I'm citing UW questions and Goljan. However when you're presented with a question....they usu won't try to trick you with the first 24h deal and actually look for a viral encephalitis vs. a bacterial one.

in the words of goljan - play odds.

neutrophils so outnumber macs that early on they predominate.

Members don't see this ad :)
Neutrophils at 24 hrs. That's one of the few things I actually learned in immunology. DNP's is a garbage answer. They're not trained enough to fight infections. *rimshot*

What are DNPs??

I would have to go with PMNs..

Seems like an easy question, whats tripping you up about it? Is there some wierd case where this isnt so?? You re making me second guess myself now.. haha

DNPs are Do nothing phagocytes, they are there to take up space but don't contribute to anything (haha, nah, that was just a shot at DNPs-Doctors of Nurse practioning--see the General Residency forum if you want to see whats going on).

I guess what was tripping me up is that Daddy robbins literally said "Neutrophils predominate for the first 6-24 hrs, beyond which Macrophages are the predominate cell"
And I usually just though Macrophages days 3> but this statement threw me off

Sometimes I also just have trouble with the timing stuff.