Help in the pharmacy??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lcow2004

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just started a new job at CVS...I know I know bad mistake.. I used to work at CVS before and then I left to another job and then another job but because of CVS expansion and purchasing other businesses, I am now finding no choice but to go back to CVS to pay the bills.

Anyway, I am in a store that seems very understaffed. It is just too much for me to handle with the limited staff they give me despite me having work at CVS before and knowing the system. I find that I cannot even go on any break now and no time to even go to the bathroom and I have to hold it really bad from start to end of my shift..Does anyone know what the staffing criteria for CVS is for script volume? I know they allocate a certain number of pharmacists and techs for each store depending on how many scripts they do. Does anyone have this information? I thought I saw it before but can't seem to find it now. Anyone face this problem before and know how to address it? Were you able to get more help assigned to you from mannagement when you provide this feedback?

Members don't see this ad.

Tech hours are based on script count, waiters, call volume, drive through, and probably some other factors. Idk about asking for more hours, but I imagine it will fall on deaf ears

When you have to go to the bathroom, just go. It can't take that long.....

Members don't see this ad :)
Based on successful PICs I've seen: Just use more tech hours. If you beat script budget nobody will be able to say jack.

Search for tech hours comparison topics. Even in cvs there is huge variability on help you will. You get 1 tech hour for 11 to 14 scripts filled. What is your weekly script count and tech hours?

Are you optimizing to myschedule? 95% of the time if you feel like you don't have enough people, then you don't. Look at myschdule and see where it says you need the most people. Schedule more people during peak times according to the tool.

As for the bathroom, give me a break. It boggles my mind how there are RPH's out there who don't eat or use the bathroom all day. Peeing takes 2 minutes tops, and eating takes 5-7 minutes. Just go to the break room and go eat. Waiters are 15 minutes, if you leave and go eat, you can come back and still have 8 minutes to verify the script. It's what I've been doing for 10 years and have never gotten in trouble. Hell, my DM came in on me once in the break room eating. He didn't say a word. And even if he did, I wouldn't give a **** because I'm not doing anything wrong. I'm still in the vicinity of the pharmacy and can come back in time to verify waiters.

Put yourself first, optimize myschedule, train your techs, get some interns and it will be smooth sailing.

Reactions: 1 user
Are you optimizing to myschedule? 95% of the time if you feel like you don't have enough people, then you don't. Look at myschdule and see where it says you need the most people. Schedule more people during peak times according to the tool.

As for the bathroom, give me a break. It boggles my mind how there are RPH's out there who don't eat or use the bathroom all day. Peeing takes 2 minutes tops, and eating takes 5-7 minutes. /QUOTE]
the fact that you have to mow down your food in 5-7 minutes just shows how little your company respects you - yes, we can eat that fast, but in the long run - is this healthy? No - Take a break, relax, I get 45 minutes and it is a good mental break. Isn't this against most labor laws? If you work an 8 hour shift, you should get a 30 minute break.

Please sign this petition if you are concerned about finding a job when you graduate as a pharmacist, the job market is saturated!! And our voices need to be heard “To Stop Opening Pharmacy Schools Until Supply Meets Demand". Companies are signing on Pharmacists as Floaters when there is an openining because there are no permanent pharmacy positions open. I’m a P2 student and worried about my future in which I have invested so much time and money into building. So if your concerned too, please sign the petition a fellow student kindly started. Every signature counts! And APCE needs to put a stop to this crisis and there should be a law made against this. The professions reputation and respect is diminishing due to this crisis not to mention the mass debt they are causing students.
https://www.change.org/p/accreditat...on-to-the-supply-and-demand-of-the-pharmacist

Um, ignoring the fact that this post has absolutely nothing to do with the topic.....this petition will go absolutely nowhere. The APCE MAKES money by licensing new schools, there is NO reason why they would want to stop. Asking the APCE to stop licensing new schools, would be like asking you to voluntarily take a $5.00/hr cut. You wouldn't do it, no matter how much random strangers asked you to, and neither will the APCE. The APCE cares 0% about whether or not pharmacists can find jobs, all they care about is their own job, which security is enhanced by the more pharmacy schools that open.

Likewise, there will never be a law about this, because nobody, absolutely NOBODY cares about unemployed pharmacists, except for pharmacists. And pharmacists are too small of a voting bloc (especially when you consider how many are apathetic and don't care) to be able to get a law passed.

You are wise to care about your future, but you need to plan your future around the fact that the pharmacist supply will most likely keep increasing for the foreseeable future.

The answer to OP's question probably depends on being over script budget vs under script budget.

In my personal experience, if you exceed script budget and are under tech hours, you are left alone. If you exceed script budget and are over tech hours, you are left alone if they are made aware of it. I work at a drive-thru store that varies from 9 scripts per tech hour (in a given day) to 11 scripts per tech hour on 82-86 RPH hours

If you are under script budget and go over tech hours, you get a nasty email and eventually write-ups. If you ask permission for more tech hours while being under script budget, you are basically told to suck it up or meet/exceed script budget to justify using more tech hours.

Edit: Also pharmacist hours are supposedly set by for the year Central Command (Woonsocket) according to my sup based on projected script volume for the year relative to the previous year (for example my store lost a lot of scripts in 2014 so it lost RPH hours accordingly. Now I got them all back and then some in 2015, but I still have to work within the 86 hours instead of the 103 hours--16 hours of RPH overlap--when this pharmacy used to be open 14 hours last year). It doesn't matter if you go 5% over script budget or 35% over script budget. Please tell me I am wrong (seriously)

Last edited:
sometimes i come in on a saturday night and the daytime pharmacist told me she hadn't pee in 12 hours.

Members don't see this ad :)
Order a catheter... it's great being able to go while you are counseling a patient or fighting off drug seekers

As for the bathroom, give me a break. It boggles my mind how there are RPH's out there who don't eat or use the bathroom all day. Peeing takes 2 minutes tops, and eating takes 5-7 minutes. Just go to the break room and go eat. Waiters are 15 minutes, if you leave and go eat, you can come back and still have 8 minutes to verify the script. It's what I've been doing for 10 years and have never gotten in trouble. Hell, my DM came in on me once in the break room eating. He didn't say a word. And even if he did, I wouldn't give a **** because I'm not doing anything wrong. I'm still in the vicinity of the pharmacy and can come back in time to verify waiters.

Put yourself first, optimize myschedule, train your techs, get some interns and it will be smooth sailing.

Sorry if this is dumb question...I am still kind of new to this.. but what is myschedule?? sounds like something to help schedule my time more efficiently (when to take breaks, go to bathroom, etc..)? maybe my problem is I have not be trained how to use this yet. But still, I feel like the issue is that not enough help in the pharmacy. I often have to run back and forth between stations and this is why there is never time to go to the bathroom because I am always behind doing something and many scripts always go in red so I have tell my techs to always reschedule the due date to next day.. also all the running between stations make me have to go to the bathroom even more until I cannot hold it anymore...

Can someone tell me how to request for more hours? I feel like we need at least another pharmacist to help out and a few more techs at least... I am not sure how high our weekly script count is yet but our pharmacy is very big an I thnk we are only of the bigger volume stores in our area so we should and need more help...

This is so adorable. It's like that episode of Orange is the New Black where the new inmate asks how to request a gluten free meal.

Reactions: 6 users
Sorry if this is dumb question...I am still kind of new to this.. but what is myschedule?? sounds like something to help schedule my time more efficiently (when to take breaks, go to bathroom, etc..)? maybe my problem is I have not be trained how to use this yet. But still, I feel like the issue is that not enough help in the pharmacy. I often have to run back and forth between stations and this is why there is never time to go to the bathroom because I am always behind doing something and many scripts always go in red so I have tell my techs to always reschedule the due date to next day.. also all the running between stations make me have to go to the bathroom even more until I cannot hold it anymore...

Can someone tell me how to request for more hours? I feel like we need at least another pharmacist to help out and a few more techs at least... I am not sure how high our weekly script count is yet but our pharmacy is very big an I thnk we are only of the bigger volume stores in our area so we should and need more help...
lol

At CVS the formula works like this. Figure out how many people you need to barely scrape by and run your store. Cut that number in half and that's how many techs you get.

At CVS the formula works like this. Figure out how many people you need to barely scrape by and run your store. Cut that number in half and that's how many techs you get.

This just doesn't feel right. How do they expect us pharmacists to be able to provide the right customer service if we don't have enough help?? isn't CVS value in customer service?? How can we step up to management and change this business model? Anybody else feel this way let's come up with some ideas so that we pharmacists can get the help we need to do our job and to be able to actually enjoy it and take breaks!

This just doesn't feel right. How do they expect us pharmacists to be able to provide the right customer service if we don't have enough help?? isn't CVS value in customer service?? How can we step up to management and change this business model? Anybody else feel this way let's come up with some ideas so that we pharmacists can get the help we need to do our job and to be able to actually enjoy it and take breaks!

While I do agree with you and sure many would like to see that happen, realistically probably not. Companies hire you to do things the way they want you to do things. Most times it's legal. Sometimes it isn't and people make decisions on whether to whistleblow, ignore or whatever. I don't think CVS hired you so you can tell them they are not giving enough help so pharmacist can provide customer service. Pretty sure that's exactly what they want to do to maximize profits and not think too much about "doing good" for the patient.

You can certainly try to bring it up to CVS and tell them your ideas and concerns about how to make the company better. I'm sure some already have. But CVS probably doesn't give a crap and will keep an eye on you.

If you really want to provide good service, counseling, to patients, compete against CVS with those values and see if you come out on top. I'm gonna guess the odds will be against you though.

I am thinking we CVS pharmacists need to protest. Isn't this what nurses do and they always end up getting what they want?? I say if we all refuse to work for CVS unless things change, then they will not be able to find pharmacists to fill these positions and will be forced to make these changes so that pharmacists are willing to work for them again! Who is with me??

You're right. It's not right. It's dead wrong. The people who claim CVS is evil in this thread either:

1. Don't work for CVS
2. Don't optimize mySchedule
3. Verify extremely slow/Can't multitask
4. Have VERY ****ty techs

I'll say it again, and again, and again. If you optimize mySchedule, and PUT PEOPLE IN THE BUILDING WHEN THE TOOL TELLS YOU TO, you will not feel overwhelmed for the most part. Yes, there will be busy days, but that's life.

If I hear one more RPH say they don't have time to pee while working for CVS, I'm gonna lose it. It's beyond mind boggling.

You are correct that customer service is an important part of the CVS business model, unfortunately they also have to minimize payroll because its a big expense. So in a way they are trying to find the customer's tipping point of customer service. Just how bad can it get before the customer will actually transfer out their meds. They also try to compensate for this with adherence calls, reminder texts and other services that boost CVS appeal to customers, and try to make them forget the one time when they came in and had to wait 30min in the drive through.

The sad truth is that it's not about excellent customer service (hire more people and that's easy), its about doing just enough to keep them coming back and running the business cheaply.

You're right. It's not right. It's dead wrong. The people who claim CVS is evil in this thread either:

1. Don't work for CVS

I'll say it again, and again, and again. If you optimize mySchedule, and PUT PEOPLE IN THE BUILDING WHEN THE TOOL TELLS YOU TO, you will not feel overwhelmed for the most part. Yes, there will be busy days, but that's life.

If I hear one more RPH say they don't have time to pee while working for CVS, I'm gonna lose it. It's beyond mind boggling.

1. Don't work for CVS - You're right. I found a better job.
2. Don't optimize mySchedule - Never RXM. Turned down two offers after seeing abuse of the position.
3. Verify extremely slow/Can't multitask - I multitask extremely well, I just happen to think working at "CVS speed" is unsafe. We're healthcare professionals, remember?
4. Have VERY ****ty techs - Agree with you 100% on that one, but it's hard to find quality/motivated help at that pay scale.

When 95%of the people who have worked for CVS say it's slavery, it's probably true. Yes, some people are just lazy and they'll be lazy no matter where they work. But you my friend shot-gunned one too many koolaids if you think that CVS is good for pharmacists. Great for investors, but bad for pharmacists and especially bad for the profession. You may think you're God's gift to CVS right now, but as soon as they can replace you with a younger cheaper pharmacist that is pinned to the bench with student loans, they will do it.

The people who claim CVS is evil in this thread either:

1. Don't work for CVS

I moonlighted for them - helped me appreciate my current job

Was a floater - not my job

I can push out scripts and multi-task with the best of them. Three of my hospital buddies floated for CVS - the techs actually asked us if we have to be faster to work in a hospital because us three were better than any of the full timers.

Sad, but true, but what do you expect when you are competing with Mcdonalds for employees?

Like pillpharmer said - you have drank the kool aid x 1000 - or you are corporate pawn because EVERY SINGLE RPH that I know that has worked for CVS despised that place- and that includes a friend of mine who is a former district manager for them - he worked for them for 20 years and now feels he waster that much of his life

Make sure not to give any corporation any more than they deserve from you. Take that bathroom break if you need it....its your health. The same with eating and/or sitting down for a second or too. They pay you for your services not for your sacrifices.

Also as @NateRobinson said, the myschedule tool works pretty good with delegating shifts..Ive watched my PIC (now former PIC) use it and it keeps our busy hours filled with good overlap. BTW, He had the pharmacy running like clockwork, (we became number 1 in the district in WeCare scores and MCEs) and then of course they decided to transfer him and run the store into the ground lol.

But yeah, CVS likes to do more with less and churn out big bonuses for supervisors, and DMS.