Help Interpreting MCAT Charts and Graphs and Passage Strategy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RMRwlnds

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im studying for the MCAT, and my major weakness seems to be being able to quickly interpret the charts and graphs they throw at you. Its very time consuming orienting myself sometimes. I seem to have more trouble with this in the biological science section than the physical science section but I wouldnt mind getting better at both. I have two questions: first, im wondering how people who have scored highly in the science sections approach the passages with charts. Do you look for differences? Do you just always know what the data means? Secondly, does anyone know of any books or prep materials designed to help with that, or any give someone exposure to them. I think I could learn a lot just from understanding how someone who scored really high sees the passages and approaches the test. I took a PR course, as much as they said theyd would help with approach to passages, they didnt. All they kept saying was practice. I dont disagree with that, but Id like to practice while using a better strategy,

Members don't see this ad.

I would recommend that you don't focus too much on the graphs when your reading through the passage. Note the axes and obvious trends but don't over analyze. Using the graphs can be extremely helpful when you get to the questions as they can save a lot of time. I think that knowing when to use the graphs really comes down to getting a good feel for graph-heavy passages. Can't recommend any books for bio but the AAMC practice tests were very helpful to me. Oh and not to freak you out or anything, but on my test there were a ton of graphs but I didn't feel like I used them much.

...Benzq, thanks for the advice. I'm
Not that freaked by the graphs, I know they are there is most passages. I have already taken it once and scored well enough in the sciences. I have to take it again because I embarrassed myself on the verbal. I was just wondering how to get into that upper echlon of test takers and I know the graphs tend to hurt me. It's good to know other people ignore them too. I was kind of beginning to winder if I was somehow developmentally impaired that way.

It may sound stupid, but i found it helpful to dumb down my IQ a few points when I answered graph questions. Usually the harder the question, the stupider the answer... well at least with the graph-based questions imo.

Members don't see this ad :)
Aced the bio section.., I'd say just glance at them, then use them if a question needs the data. If it's something easy like a linear trend line I'll note the trend while reading the passage. If it's anything more complex like a bar graph or a full chart of data, I'll just note the axis or column titles. When a question asks me to use the chart just scan for what they want me to compare.

Thanks for the advice green rabbit. It seems like Im making more of these graphs and charts than needs be. I will try the axis thing. Any tips on organic while you are responding?

Thanks for the advice green rabbit. It seems like Im making more of these graphs and charts than needs be. I will try the axis thing. Any tips on organic while you are responding?

Sorry, don't have any tips on organic. Most of it came down to looking at the problem, understanding what concept they were testing, and knowing the right answer. Thankfully I had a very good organic professor who emphasized synthesis, mechanism, and principle instead of one focused on speed or detail, and a good grade in that class was enough for the MCAT.

Edit: Actually I guess one tip is to always look out for stereoisomers!

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry, don't have any tips on organic. Most of it came down to looking at the problem, understanding what concept they were testing, and knowing the right answer. Thankfully I had a very good organic professor who emphasized synthesis, mechanism, and principle instead of one focused on speed or detail, and a good grade in that class was enough for the MCAT.

Edit: Actually I guess one tip is to always look out for stereoisomers!

I would add that you should make sure that carbon doesn't have more than 4 bonds in the answer that you picked. Made that mistake in a practice exam and I was scratching my head afterwords because it was a huge 'duh' moment.