Help! Low OAT practice test scores!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

szoptogeek

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have a week and a half left before I take my OAT.
I've been taking Kaplans practice tests and on all 3, I am scoring 270. These tests were taken a month apart so now I feel like 3 months of studying has not helped AT ALL.
Yes I've done Chads Review. I've taken his quizzes too. But I found that Kaplans practice tests don't ask the same type of questions. Their questions are way off topic and much harder. So should I postpone my test or just study hard for a week and take it? Help!

Members don't see this ad.

For me, I found that doing a lot of practice problems helped. Yes, Chad's videos are immensely awesome but it's really about doing problem after problem. I used Chad's Videos + OAT Destroyer + TopScore + OAT Achiever, so I took roughly 10 practice tests prior and nearly went cover-to-cover on the Destroyer, which has literally over 1000 problems. It won't be the end of the world if you took it twice, though.

Also, are Kaplan tests like full exams or just abbreviated ones? I didn't pay for any Kaplan tests so I'm not sure what the scope of it is.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you elaborate? As in break down your score and talk about what sections are giving you the most problems? If you decide to take the test, I think you should just continue to take as many practice OAT's as you can get a hold of. Make sure you review what you did right and wrong at the end of each exam (that part is critical). My advice is to take the OAT practice test on the ADA website as your last practice test to see how you do. That score was the closest to my actual score.

Also, are Kaplan tests like full exams or just abbreviated ones? I didn't pay for any Kaplan tests so I'm not sure what the scope of it is.

Kaplan is full length -- just like the actual test is!

Can you elaborate? As in break down your score and talk about what sections are giving you the most problems? If you decide to take the test, I think you should just continue to take as many practice OAT's as you can get a hold of. Make sure you review what you did right and wrong at the end of each exam (that part is critical). My advice is to take the OAT practice test on the ADA website as your last practice test to see how you do. That score was the closest to my actual score.

Hi Salmon!

Here are my scores for the past 3 tests in order taken
Biology (260, 310, 290) ~ somewhat improving
General Chemistry (260, 270, 310) improving :thumbup:
Organic Chemistry (330, 260, 230) complete downfall :thumbdown:
Physics (230, 200, 230) -- this is after a whole week dedicated to physics, too :(
Reading Comp (250, 250, 260) I suck at this section :(
Quan Reasoning (310, 270, 290)

Total score: (270, 260, 270) :cryi:

Hi Salmon!

Here are my scores for the past 3 tests in order taken
Biology (260, 310, 290) ~ somewhat improving
General Chemistry (260, 270, 310) improving :thumbup:
Organic Chemistry (330, 260, 230) complete downfall :thumbdown:
Physics (230, 200, 230) -- this is after a whole week dedicated to physics, too :(
Reading Comp (250, 250, 260) I suck at this section :(
Quan Reasoning (310, 270, 290)

Total score: (270, 260, 270) :cryi:
Hmm.... this is a tough one.

If you plan on taking the OAT in a week this is what I would do:

For reading comp my initial scores were bad, but I changed my strategy to search and destroy. I would read the first paragraph or so, then I would read the question and skim the article for the answer. That got me a 380 on the actual OAT. Just remain calm. 9 times out of 10 it is that simple on the actual test.

For the physics I'm not sure what to say. But I dedicated about 3 weeks to review and learning (I hadn't learned some topics). That meant taking good notes and writing down key equations (Cracking the OAT was great for this section).

The other sections I would go through the practice tests and find the reoccurring topics, then try to do a thorough general review of those things. Then go back, and try the same problems from the practice tests to see if you can get the right answer.

Also, as before take lots of practice tests.

However, if you feel you really need more time, you might want to postpone. Lots of people say over preparation (OAT Destroyer) is the way to go, but for myself I tried to size up the actual test as best I could, and not review extraneous topics that I know aren't going to be on there (ex: I reviewed simple optics, refraction, reflection, snells law, but I ignored diffraction from physics because it was really unlikely I would get a question on it.