Help! MCAT in three weeks and I am really stressed out..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Snooks

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I know we all experience MCAT-related to stress to varying degree and perhaps within limits it helps to concentrate on the task and keep working on improving the result. However, I my case I feel that my stress levels as the test day is approaching (August 9th) begin to impede on my studying abilities. My situation is the following - I moved to a different city (my husband has just started a grad school) and I have been studying since June solely without any feedback/support from other MCATers (which sometimes makes me feel uncertain where I stand in my preparation progress in comparison). I am trying to do a really thorough review of all the concepts and do all of the 1001 EK questions series. However, I started to really burn out lately. I don't seem to be able to break above a 10 on sciences on my practice CBTs and continue making stupid errors (like incorrectly determining a limiting reagent!) because I freeze thinking – “now I am taking the test, I have to do really well”. I know many of you will probably say – “oh c'mon, just take a day to relax and continue studying”. Yet, I think that my high stress level is due to the fact that I am an older applicant (29), moved here from another country 6 years ago and I have really put a lot of pressure on myself to get into a med school. I graduated with my second degree in biochem this Spring with all sorts of honors etc, very good EC’s. I also would like to do well (above 30) on MCAT as I always was a good student and have high expectations from myself (and perfectionism certainly does not help in reducing my stress levelsJ). Any advice on how to combat stress and techniques on breaking above 10 on sciences within last 3 weeks would be greatly appreciated. Or should I just take a break and just do it all next year? (the least desirable option as I have already completed my AMCAS, my pre-med advisor is writing a composite letter based on over ten fabulous references etc., yet I am starting to consider it) My worries are that being as stressed as I am right now may make me do poorly on the test.. Thanks much!:scared::(

Members don't see this ad.

Try going to the gym before you study, it really helps with the anxiety and stress for me.

I am in the same boat as you. I am waking up and doing a half hour cardio each morning then off to study, usually go for 4 hours with short breaks then go hit the weights. When I come back from gym I try to hit it another 4 hours.

Thanks so much, guys! First, it's nice to realize that you are not alone and second - I took your advice and am trying to go to the gym regularly now. I feel that it helps me to calm and feel more centered while concentrating better.
Best of luck with your test preparation, just stay positive and you will rock!:)

Members don't see this ad :)
give yourself a full day each week to rest and don't study, maybe some flash cards

If you are really stressed now, I'd suggest taking off 2 full days, even 3 - you won't learn enough during that time period to make a difference anyway, so you might as well use them to re-focus. And, as suggested above, working out is a good stress reliever. Plus it's a nice antidote to sitting on your @$$ all day and studying.