Help Me Decide? (Pitt, Emory, UMD)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Where would you go?

• Emory

Votes: 22 44.0%
  • UMD

Votes: 18 36.0%
  • Pitt

Votes: 10 20.0%

• Total voters

SoonToBeAnMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't really use SDN but I could use some new perspectives. I'm deciding between UMD (IS, nearly full tuition scholarship), Emory (half tuition scholarship), and Pitt (all loans). UMD is close to my family and the cheapest option; however, I'm not a fan of their A-F grading system. Pitt was amazing; however, finances are important to me and I can't see myself taking out the full COA in loans. Emory was really nice as well and it's P/F, but it is fairly far from home. I realize this is a personal decision, but I'm just curious to see what people would choose.

Members don't see this ad.

Is the preclinical grading UMD's only drawback? If so, you should take the full scholarship and run. You'll thank yourself later.

Members don't see this ad :)
@Cyberdyne 101 That is one of the big drawbacks. I'm trying to avoid an environment that is too intense or stressful and a lot of students I've spoken with at other schools say P/F is the way to go.

@Cyberdyne 101 That is one of the big drawbacks. I'm trying to avoid an environment that is too intense or stressful and a lot of students I've spoken with at other schools say P/F is the way to go.
What is the price difference between Emory and UMD? Is that worth the P/F?

Personally I think Emory is awesome, but I often hear that pre-clinical grades don't matter too much in the grand scheme of things. :shrug:

I'd probably pick Emory or Pitt. But i don't know either of them well enough to narrow it down.

Emory for Grady + P/F + half tuition scholarship! Good deal! I can get on board with UMD for the $$$ reason too, though.

@Cyberdyne 101 It will cost me 100k more at Emory vs almost nothing at UMD...I'm honestly not sure if it's worth it or not
That's obviously a lot of $. If I were in your position, I'd go to Maryland unless I were head over heels in love with Emory, its location, and the opportunities it offers vs UMD. I honestly don't think P/F is worth 100k+ but we each have our own preferences.