Help me decide plz.....Is Columbia really worth it?!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Johnnydpt

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi future DPTs, I have been reading most of your posts and I find them really interesting and encouraging. I actually have a question about the quality of the dpt education and whether or not it makes a difference in real life work after graduation. The reason why I'm asking is because I'm currently in the process of applying to pt schools in NY, and really can't decide on going to Columbia which possess an outstanding reputation as you know but super expensive tuition, and going to any other regular pt school in my area with reasonable tuition. Some advise that I should go to the cheapest school, claiming that, they all get the same license at the end of the day!! Others insist that an Ivy League school provides a quality education that would difinitely pay off after graduation, an opinion that I'm kinda drawn toward, but really skeptical about. Honesly worried about taking a big loan and end up not being able to pay back!
Would certainly love to know your thoughts on this. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Minus all of the ridiculousness of how people are so paranoid about costs of education, think about it. If you want to do anything with your career (specifically, opening up a clinic comes to mind), while the standard DPT degree is offered by multiple universities, if YOU were a perspective patient, looking at the biographies of the physical therapists you may or may not see, not knowing ANYTHING about DPT education in this country, who would you rather see? Someone from a no-name University, or someone from a prestigious university such as Columbia? Seriously, ask yourself this question. I understand debt is a huge factor, but if you are a future entrepreneur, creating PERCEPTION is also important. Whether or not Columbia is worth it hinges upon what you end up doing with the degree. If you plan on sitting pretty in a clinic for the rest of your career and not want to venture out into your own business etc., then maybe Columbia (or other prestigious, yet highly expensive private schools) isn't the most ideal place for you to get your DPT. You are better off going to a state school to get your DPT. But what the posters on this forum fail to realize is that outside of our specialty, these degrees carry weight. I have spoken with numerous individuals in my quest to apply to schools on "all things being equal, who would you rather see?" and an overwhelming majority of people responded by the UNIVERSITY attended, and not anything else like sub-specialties.

Take a moment and think. Really think. What do you want to do with your career? This will make your choice of DPT programs easier.

I respectfully disagree. While sure perception does matter to an extent, I personally believe that having a minimal amount of debt after graduation greatly outweighs any prestige attending a school for 3 years may give you. Besides, most of your "real" education will occur in the first few years out of PT school and in your internships. If you do want to start up your own clinic, being less in debt will also provide you with more flexibility in doing that as far as the financial costs of starting up. In addition, not having to worry about student loans as much in your first years out may allow you to pursue other opportunities such as attending conferences, doing residencies, etc... which would also enhance your education and make you more marketable.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
if YOU were a perspective patient, looking at the biographies of the physical therapists you may or may not see, not knowing ANYTHING about DPT education in this country, who would you rather see?

How many times are patients going to ask for your resume and ask you where you went to school?

I have spoken with numerous individuals in my quest to apply to schools on "all things being equal, who would you rather see?" and an overwhelming majority of people responded by the UNIVERSITY attended, and not anything else like sub-specialties.

This has no basis. Some of the best PTs come from unknown, generic schools. As the OP said, most learning occurs in the years after you graduate. You don't need to graduate from a prestigious school like Columbia to open a private practice, produce research, or achieve great results.

Johnny, go to another school and don't spend thousands of extra dollars for the prestige of Columbia.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi future DPTs, I have been reading most of your posts and I find them really interesting and encouraging. I actually have a question about the quality of the dpt education and whether or not it makes a difference in real life work after graduation. The reason why I'm asking is because I'm currently in the process of applying to pt schools in NY, and really can't decide on going to Columbia which possess an outstanding reputation as you know but super expensive tuition, and going to any other regular pt school in my area with reasonable tuition. Some advise that I should go to the cheapest school, claiming that, they all get the same license at the end of the day!! Others insist that an Ivy League school provides a quality education that would difinitely pay off after graduation, an opinion that I'm kinda drawn toward, but really skeptical about. Honesly worried about taking a big loan and end up not being able to pay back!
Would certainly love to know your thoughts on this. Thanks in advance.

At the end of our physical therapy education we all have to take the NPTE, which as a standardized examination levels the playing field completely. Passing the NPTE, no matter what school you attend, indicates that you have the knowledge and skills necessary to be a physical therapist. In other words, you, me, and every other PT student that passes the NPTE has what it takes to be a competent physical therapist practitioner. Individuals can state that they received a better quality education by attending such and such university, but there is only one true objective measure when it comes to whether or not a student has acquired the knowledge and skills to practice physical therapy, and that is the NPTE. Based on this understanding, the only real difference, in my humble opinion, would be how much do you have to spend to obtain that PT education.

I said this in an earlier post on this forum, but for me my moment of clarity, when choosing between a prestigious university that I was accepted to for DPT school and an in-state school, came when I thought about student loan repayment. All depending on my repayment plan, in 5, 10, 15, or 20 years would I rather be still paying my school for my PT education or using the PT education provided to me by my school to pay myself.

Finally, in my experience, I have shadowed several physical therapists that own and operate private practices, individuals that did not graduate from prestigious universities, and they seem to be quite successful in their careers. Also remember, that all DPT programs state that they provide an 'entry-level' DPT degree. The education received during your time at the university will only take you so far in your career. The type and quality of work experience gained, continuing education classes attended, research produced etc., in the years after will be what distinguishes you as a physical therapist practitioner, not where you obtained your 'entry-level' DPT education.

Last edited:
I think when you go to more prestigious schools, you're paying for the opportunity to network with other people that could potentially be business partners in the future, similar when you're an undergraduate going to an Ivy League, you want to make friends with that kid with the rich family just in case. In cases such as with USC, you're making that investment to be part of the amazing alumni association they have, which may provide you with great opportunities and resources in the future for perhaps starting your own clinic, research, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
I respectfully disagree. While sure perception does matter to an extent, I personally believe that having a minimal amount of debt after graduation greatly outweighs any prestige attending a school for 3 years may give you. Besides, most of your "real" education will occur in the first few years out of PT school and in your internships. If you do want to start up your own clinic, being less in debt will also provide you with more flexibility in doing that as far as the financial costs of starting up. In addition, not having to worry about student loans as much in your first years out may allow you to pursue other opportunities such as attending conferences, doing residencies, etc... which would also enhance your education and make you more marketable.

I completely agree with PTMatt. From my experiences, the prestige among PTs comes from getting specializations, certifications, becoming a fellow, etc. DPT is the same 3 letters at the end of everyones title.

Want prestige? Play CoD. Want a DPT? Attend an accredited school. Your experience is what you make of it. I would be more inclined to find a school that best fits me, tuition cost and location, rather than by the school's name.

My prestige comes from attending Mercer which beat Duke in the NCAA tourney this year haha. Worth every penny :) It is a private school but the tuition is not as bad as some other private schools around.

As a DPT, you will get a job anywhere as long as you have your license. The question is, the quality of the job.

Like someone mentioned on this thread, if you want to get hired at a good place then you would stand a higher chance coming from a school like Columbia than a less-known school.

Just research some top ranked PT facilities and see where they got their education.

Columbia is not that expensive. NYU is even more expensive.

However, if you'replanning to stay in NYC with good stats and want to save some money on education....I suggest you try your chances at Hunter. Hunter is a very well known program in NYC and 3-4x less expensive :)

I asked myself this question not too long ago about whether i would rather go to a prestigious university such as the likes of Columbia or USC and pay 150k in tuition or attend a school that is half that price. I decided to go with the latter because i realized i'd rather use the money saved and drive a nice AUDI convertible.

I'm sorry for having written such a drawn out reply. I'm on break after wrapping up my first year. I find myself with some spare time and a healthy dose of surprise at some of the opinions floating around here.

Others insist that an Ivy League school provides a quality education that would difinitely pay off after graduation, an opinion that I'm kinda drawn toward, but really skeptical about.

Your skepticism is well-founded. Unless the folks telling you that a Big Name school is worth it are willing to cover the difference in tuition out of their own pockets, I'd politely ignore their advice.

Minus all of the ridiculousness of how people are so paranoid about costs of education, think about it.

It strikes me as reasonable to be deeply uncomfortable with having $150k+ debt for a job that starts at $65k. You may disagree. To the OP, if those numbers spook you, I don't think you're being ridiculous or paranoid.

If you plan on sitting pretty in a clinic for the rest of your career and not want to venture out into your own business etc., then maybe Columbia (or other prestigious, yet highly expensive private schools) isn't the most ideal place for you to get your DPT. You are better off going to a state school to get your DPT.

It's hard to start a business when you're just trying to keep your head above water covering your old debts.

But what the posters on this forum fail to realize is that outside of our specialty, these degrees carry weight. I have spoken with numerous individuals in my quest to apply to schools on "all things being equal, who would you rather see?" and an overwhelming majority of people responded by the UNIVERSITY attended, and not anything else like sub-specialties.

Your premise of "all else being equal" makes for a somewhat irrelevant question. How many PTs are absolutely equal in all respects except for where they went to school? Would someone drive 10 miles longer to see someone from Columbia vs someone from a less expensive school? Would they go to the prestigious graduate if they had one fewer star on yelp relative to the state school PT? Half a star less?

Take a moment and think. Really think. What do you want to do with your career? This will make your choice of DPT programs easier.

For me, I want to be able to take a job because it's a good place to work and not necessarily because it pays the most. I want the option of taking a pay cut for a residency. I don't want to sacrifice my weekends to PRN work to pay down my debt. I might use that time to study for a specialty exam. I want to have the flexibility to one day start my own practice. Therefore I go to a reasonably priced state school.

I think when you go to more prestigious schools, you're paying for the opportunity to network with other people that could potentially be business partners in the future, similar when you're an undergraduate going to an Ivy League, you want to make friends with that kid with the rich family just in case.

If you're drowning in debt, rich people rarely want to enter into financial partnerships with you. That's part of how they stay rich. But they might employ you to their advantage if you are highly leveraged and have fewer viable options. That's how they get richer.

In cases such as with USC, you're making that investment to be part of the amazing alumni association they have, which may provide you with great opportunities and resources in the future for perhaps starting your own clinic, research, etc.

So you're taking on non-defaultable debt to invest substantially in something that may perhaps lead to a relationship in the future that may perhaps generate tangible benefits? There are plenty of people who run their own clinics and participate in research without having gone to big name schools. This seems like a tenuous benefit. And if you're paying down old loans, your willingness to risk a new business or do something non-income generating like research will go way down.

As a DPT, you will get a job anywhere as long as you have your license. The question is, the quality of the job.

Like someone mentioned on this thread, if you want to get hired at a good place then you would stand a higher chance coming from a school like Columbia than a less-known school.

A "bad place" will have to pay a higher salary than a "good place", right? The clinic where you see 1 patient an hour in downtown Denver is going to pay less than the clinic where you're supervising 3 PTAs in a high stress environment in Middle Nowhere, USA. At some level, it's just supply and demand. If you have a great deal of debt, you may be forced to work in the shoddy mill as opposed to the place you'd really like.

Last edited:
All valid points. I agree with the excess debt statements and entering your own business partnership with much debt. But I want to point out new federal govt repayment plans on IBR that allow consolidation of federal loans which minimizes monthly financial strain. Add to the fact that if you work non-profit or find additional streams of income, you could be not as in bad shape as it was in the past. I guess it comes down to what are you willing to put down to be a dpt..

Just get in somewhere, study hard and do the best you can. The rest will take care of itself.

I want to point out new federal govt repayment plans on IBR that allow consolidation of federal loans which minimizes monthly financial strain. Add to the fact that if you work non-profit or find additional streams of income, you could be not as in bad shape as it was in the past.

I hope IBR works out for people who really need it to get through school. But depending on congress to not change a federal program...it's a precarious place to be in. If less expensive opportunities present themselves, I agree with the advice I've heard from every single physical therapist I've ever spoken to about it: go to the least expensive school with a decent pass rate on the licensing exam.