Help me eliminate 8 schools from my list!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DietDrKelp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
White male, 3.89 cum / 3.88 sgpa 33Q (12/11/10) Ohio resident, quality ECs including research fellowship

Here we go :

Case Western
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Toledo
Wright State
NEOMED

Chicago/Rosalind Franklin
Drexel
Eastern Virginia
Loyola
New York
NYU
Penn State
Temple
University of Michigan
University of Pittsburgh
University of Virginia
Vanderbilt
Virginia Commonwealth
Jefferson
St. Louis
Columbia

Members don't see this ad.

Are these the only schools you're applying to? It'll be pretty hard to remove 8... You stand a good chance at a majority of them, and considering how much of a crapshoot medical school admissions can be, I wouldn't remove any just to make sure you're matriculating next year.

Are these the only schools you're applying to? It'll be pretty hard to remove 8... You stand a good chance at a majority of them, and considering how much of a crapshoot medical school admissions can be, I wouldn't remove any just to make sure you're matriculating next year.

I guess the number our advisor drilled into our heads was 15 :p should i keep all these?

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess the number our advisor drilled into our heads was 15 :p should i keep all these?

Depends on how strapped for cash you are, but I know plenty of applicants who apply to at least 25-30 schools, even up to 40 (although I think that's overkill :laugh:)

I would say with your stats, I would ADD a few more schools. You just never know if you'll catch the eye of a great school, perhaps because of your ECs or personal statement.

You should be applying to around 20 schools anyway, so your list looks good and pretty aligned with your stats

You should be applying to around 20 schools anyway, so your list looks good and pretty aligned with your stats

I for sure would not get rid of 8! I think all schools look good. The only suggestion I have is when I applied to Jefferson they had pretty strict LOR requirements if you didn't have a committee letter.

I'd say eastern virginia and virginia commonwealth may be below your pay grade, but I'd keep them all if you can, even applying to a bit more since if you apply to all of the top schools, one of them will take your 33 MCAT with otherwise stellar GPA/EC/research parts of your application.

OK, I'll play. With your stellar numbers, you should aim high. Delete the ones in red.

Here we go :

Case Western
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Toledo
Wright State
NEOMED

Chicago/Rosalind Franklin
Drexel
Eastern Virginia
Loyola
New York MC
NYU
Penn State
Temple
University of Michigan
University of Pittsburgh
University of Virginia
Vanderbilt
Virginia Commonwealth
Jefferson
St. Louis
Columbia[/QUOTE]

^ Idk, I'd toss in 1 or 2 that are below your range just to try and ensure you get an II and acceptance (even though nothing is guaranteed).