help me, help me!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kylek044

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok - I know someone (about 15 years out of the navy already) who said that the navy paid for all 8 years of his education (undergrad and med). Do they still do this? I can't find anything on ye olde google but I definitely need the financial help so I want this to still be true. I'm a little apprehensive about contacting a recruiter...I guess I'm just weird.

I'm sure this will lead to some fighting, so I'll start
Person 1 - NAVY means "never again volunteer yourself"...don't do it!
Person 2 - I love military medicine ... go for it!
Person 3 - Are DO's real doctors?
Person 4 - You're stupid

Alright, now its your turn...just try to get some serious answers in there, please!

Members don't see this ad.

Ok - I know someone (about 15 years out of the navy already) who said that the navy paid for all 8 years of his education (undergrad and med). Do they still do this? I can't find anything on ye olde google but I definitely need the financial help so I want this to still be true. I'm a little apprehensive about contacting a recruiter...I guess I'm just weird.

Person 4 - You're stupid

Alright, now its your turn...just try to get some serious answers in there, please!

You could start by reading the stickies at the top, and the next 10 threads. That would answer most of your questions. I'm not sure what number person that makes me, 4 I guess.

Person 4 - You're stupid

It can be done, but just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

first question is can you predict reliably what life situation you will be in or what all your goals will be in 2-3 years?

Now, you can go Academy, and USUHS for the long route, or you can go ROTC and HPSP for the 'short' route.

If you go the academy and USUHS route, then you have pretty much signed on for a career, as you will owe lots of time.

I can't really tell you if ROTC and HPSP obligations can be served concurrently (note the similarity to legal sentencing in that language). But even if they can, your talking about 4yrs college, 4yrs med school, and then at the very least 4 yrs of obligation if you do it all as GMO, or closer to 6-7 if you do a service residency.

Now back to my first question, if you tell me that you can reliably predict what your life is going to be like in 12 years, then you are either a liar or delusional.

don't sign away that much of your life for a few dollars.

i want out

Members don't see this ad :)
ROTC and HPSP obligations cannot be served concurrently. If you were to do both for 4 years each, then you would spend at least 11 years on active duty (assuming you did a military residency). There are many other factors that could add years to your obligation that I won't belabor here.

Before the level of seriousness rises, let me just point out the OP was making fun of you guys, and this is straight-up troll post.
It wasn't a troll post - I was just poking fun at some of the answers that are typical to SDN : o )

It wasn't a fake question - and the people who I want answering my serious question would probably get the sarcasm. Now, I would define what YOU are doing as trolling.