Help Me! Interview conflicts!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eforma

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here's the break down. I'm finally starting to get invited to interviews (yay! two in one day!). But...here's the problem

Jan 6th - Shenandoah Interview
Jan 7th - George Washington Interview

Me -- I'm in Europe From Dec 24th to Jan 7th for the holidays with family.

I was not expecting interviews to be the first week of January (my oversight I know) and now I have no idea what to do.

Here are my options that I can think of, but I really am not sure which is the best.

1. Shell out however much money it costs to make sure I'm in DC by Jan 5th so I can make the Jan 6th interview in Shenandoah (and that's an exhausting and expensive option)

2. Call schools and hope that I can make a later date (and this is a risky option, as I don't want to hurt my chances too much of getting) -- if I choose this option, then do I tell them that I can't make it because I'm flying home from Europe? Is that legit?

Any help people can give would be greatly appreciated. This is supposed to be happy news but now I'm just stressing out terribly.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't stress out! Call the school and ask if you can reschedule for the following week since you have a travel conflict. I was invited to interview at Hunter during mid-November while I was stressing about finals and projects. I had zero time to fly to NYC, so I called and we rescheduled for a month later. No problem. However, Hunter does not do rolling admissions. They only offer seats after all interviews have been finished. Is this the case at Shenandoah? Good luck!

Congrats on the interviews :)

This is something that totally just depends on the school though. Just contact them and explain your situation. My school absolutely does not reschedule interviews. They are done on 2 days and 2 days only. One of my classmates was in Indonesia and had to shell out a ton of $$ to come home for them. Other schools are more lenient and their process goes differently. Just find out asap and be sure to let them know whether you can still make it or not!

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at Iowa in November and they told us that notification of admission would be a week later than it was supposed to be because one student who they were interviewing was in Europe and couldn't make it back in time for the scheduled interview, so they interviewed him a week later as soon as he was home.

So I'd say that if you call the programs and explain the situation, they'd probably be willing to wait for you if you're able to schedule it within a reasonable amount of time. It's not like you're getting home way after the original interview dates anyway! Good luck!

Thanks guys. Okay, now that I'm not ARGH over everything I gave both schools a call and here's what I found out.

GWU said that I can switch to their other open house, downside it's not until February 5th.

I'm waiting on Shenandoah to get back to me - I called (but couldn't leave a message due to a full mailbox) and emailed. Depending on their response, I might just have to keep both interviews as is, because if I have to go to the one on the 6th, I might as well stay for the 7th as well right?

Eeek...cross your fingers Shenandoah is okay with a reschedule! (Though, because I applied to the Dual DPT/MSAT program, there might not be much flexibility.)

Thanks again for the input! Will let you guys know what happens.

Thanks guys. Okay, now that I'm not ARGH over everything I gave both schools a call and here's what I found out.

GWU said that I can switch to their other open house, downside it's not until February 5th.

I'm waiting on Shenandoah to get back to me - I called (but couldn't leave a message due to a full mailbox) and emailed. Depending on their response, I might just have to keep both interviews as is, because if I have to go to the one on the 6th, I might as well stay for the 7th as well right?

Eeek...cross your fingers Shenandoah is okay with a reschedule! (Though, because I applied to the Dual DPT/MSAT program, there might not be much flexibility.)

Thanks again for the input! Will let you guys know what happens.

Hey I'm in Winchester now for my interview tomorrow. It's a small town if you've never been here. It's got some history to it though. I walke sound the school itself when I got here too. I went by myself and not a guided tour or anything. So I have a first impression on the city and program. I'll see what's in store tomorrow. Hopefully I won't get grilled with difficult questions.

As far as Shenandoah letting you reschedule, I don't see why they wouldn't let you. I know someone last year had to do a phone interview because they cancelled the interviews due to weather (heavy snow) but the trick is trying to get someone to answer you. Its disheartening to see that people on this forum are having a hard time contacting SU. My first impression of the program: they are really serious about the PT program. I'll see more tomorrow I'm sure.

Thanks Jbizzle! I'm probably gonna beg you for help for the interview....Cuz man I want that dual degree! (which means I won't be taking any spots from anyone here!) Yeah, I just need them to contact me. I think it's ridiculous that her mailbox is full. I mean, I get that they are busy, but I do hope they respond soon, especially since we are given a deadline to RSVP to the program.

Thanks Jbizzle! I'm probably gonna beg you for help for the interview....Cuz man I want that dual degree! (which means I won't be taking any spots from anyone here!) Yeah, I just need them to contact me. I think it's ridiculous that her mailbox is full. I mean, I get that they are busy, but I do hope they respond soon, especially since we are given a deadline to RSVP to the program.

Ok, if you have spoken to Linda Burrow before she is very nice, with Southern twang. Anyway, I always show up for interviews early and if I happen to see her tomorrow I'll let her know some people are trying to contact her. Did you send an email??? What's your name? I'll try my best to see if she will contact you.

And yeah, that dual degree will be pretty intense, I am not going for dual degree for Shenandoah. But I am going for the dual degree at Touro if that's where I decide to go.