Help me please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mixtli

Trying to smile real hard
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need advice

Vitals
Undergrad: Johns Hopkins University
Major: biomedical engineering
cGPA: 3.87
science GPA: 3.91
PS: 12
VR: 08
BS: 13
WS: Q
33Q

I came out feeling an 11 after PS, at least a 9 on VR, and at least a 12 on BS. I feel ****ty about my VR score, and I know this 8 will kill my application. I do not have lots of extra-curriculars, some clinical experience (~100 hours doing mostly nothing), and some research (beginners), some leadership experience (mostly doing nothing). In all honestly, I'm not an interesting person.

I doubt my LORS are killer. I wanted to know what are my chances at mid-tier MD schools (rank 40-80) and lower ranked MD schools (81-120). What must I do to improve my application during the summer and fall? When is the deadline to submit my AAMCAS and committee letter before it really starts hurting my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

verbal is not going to KILL your app....how were your sat/act verbal/reading scores?

your stats are very similar to mine (3.9 gpa, 33S mcat)...but my score distribution is more even and not as impressive as your BS and PS :) (11,11,11)

and i'm aiming for top 30 schools (top 20 if i'm lucky), so i really think you shouldn't totally give up. your composite mcat is in the ballpark for those top-tier schools. maybe think about how to explain your verbal? was that in alignment with your practice scores? or do you think it was a fluke that happened on test day.

good luck giggles!

wetlightning said:
verbal is not going to KILL your app....how were your sat/act verbal/reading scores?

your stats are very similar to mine (3.9 gpa, 33S mcat)...but my score distribution is more even and not as impressive as your BS and PS :) (11,11,11)

and i'm aiming for top 30 schools (top 20 if i'm lucky), so i really think you shouldn't totally give up. your composite mcat is in the ballpark for those top-tier schools. maybe think about how to explain your verbal? was that in alignment with your practice scores? or do you think it was a fluke that happened on test day.

good luck giggles!

The thing is, I can get probably 1 point more in VR (test ranges 7-10) and drop 1 point on BS. My SAT VR was 700, first time was 610. Also, I failed AP English-3. I don't think I will give up. Try this cycle, if fail take next year's MCAT. I seriously do think my verbal score may have been a fluke, because I did actually misbubbled a passage, but erased and I am 70% sure I did recorrect it.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're nuts if you dont think you're getting in *somewhere* with your numbers. As long as you have a healthy dose of mid-tier schools (at least 6-8) and a couple of lower tier schools (maybe 2) you are almost assured to get in somwhere. The JHU name will count for a lot more than that 8 in VR. You average ECs and LORs will only really be a problem at the upper tier schools. Mid tiers will be too blinded by the sheen from your guady undergrad numbers to notice and/or care.

junebuguf said:
You're nuts if you dont think you're getting in *somewhere* with your numbers. As long as you have a healthy dose of mid-tier schools (at least 6-8) and a couple of lower tier schools (maybe 2) you are almost assured to get in somwhere. The JHU name will count for a lot more than that 8 in VR. You average ECs and LORs will only really be a problem at the upper tier schools. Mid tiers will be too blinded by the sheen from your guady undergrad numbers to notice and/or care.

Dang, exactly the jist what I was about to post. You're getting in!

dr. g. i think you'll be ok. the main thing is not to psych yourself out. at this point cut your losses and make sure your amcas is in. then, once you get your secondaries complete them and mail the NEXT day - no questions asked...to keep it short, i've got more advice which you can email me at or read off of my website mcatpearls.com but everything should work out, get in touch with the schools you are keenly interested in emphasize your positives...just don't give and fall for the "i need a 10 in verbal hype." sure it is important but you can work around it. i'm at hopkins for residency so look me up or hit me up with an email here, alfa

Dr.Giggles said:
I need advice

Vitals
33Q

I came out feeling an 11 after PS, at least a 9 on VR, and at least a 12 on BS. I feel ****ty about my VR score, and I know this 8 will kill my application. I do not have lots of extra-curriculars, some clinical experience (~100 hours doing mostly nothing), and some research (beginners), some leadership experience (mostly doing nothing). In all honestly, I'm not an interesting person.

I doubt my LORS are killer. I wanted to know what are my chances at mid-tier MD schools (rank 40-80) and lower ranked MD schools (81-120). What must I do to improve my application during the summer and fall? When is the deadline to submit my AAMCAS and committee letter before it really starts hurting my chances?

You should not have a problem getting into a top 50 school. Focus on writing a good PS and submit your application to a wide range of schools. I predict that you'll land at a school in the top/middle tier.

Good job on the GPA. I have never seen a bio engineering with a gpa that high.

Dr.Giggles said:
I need advice

Vitals
33Q

your post says relax, your pic says otherwise
hahahaha
:)

Dr.Giggles said:
I need advice

Vitals
33Q

Very impressive GPA from JHU BME. My roommate did BME at Hopkins as well. I know it's one of the toughest majors at hopkins. Your verbal score will hurt you a little bit if you are looking at top schools, but otherwise I see no problem getting in somewhere. Just apply to a wide range of schools (from top to bottom). You will be ok. :luck: