Help me refine my list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

khrisskhoras

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im gonna apply next year and ive been trying to refine my school list. Heres my rundown

LizzyM ~71 (high GPA, average MCAT)
CA resident, with strong NY state ties (born there, lived there for 14 years, went to undergrad there)
BS and MS degree in biomedical engineering (MS at top 25)

ECs include 120+ hours clinical in hospital and rehab center over 5 months and counting, 25+ hours shadowing ortho surgeon and cardiologist, 3+ years research with one publication and 1-2 more (one first author) in the making, 3+ years teaching experience, and a bit of community service here and there (won a small award for my community service contributions to phi eta sigma during the 2007-2008 academic year). Volunteer tutor for low income schools in my city for 1 year (only 10 or so hours a semester but still...)

I made a preliminary list but I want to pare it down to about 25 schools (im keeping all my CA schools):
***=reach **=medium *=safety

Quinnipiac*
Penn State* (do they allow students to use another letter in the place of the non-science?)
Georgetown**
GWU**
Hofstra*
Wake Forest**
Rush**
Oakland*
UCD**
UCLA***
UCSD***
UCSF***
USC***
UCR**
Vermont**
Alabama**
Rochester***
VCU**
VT carilion*
SUNY stony brook**
SUNY buffalo**
Albany*
Arizona**
Tulane*
Cincy**
Toledo**
Rosalind Franklin*
Drexel** (do they allow students to use another letter in the place of the non-science?)
EVMS* (do they allow students to use another letter in the place of the non-science?)
Cooper*

Please let me know what schools to add or take off. My goal is to keep it to around 20-25 schools, preferably 22-23.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Im gonna apply next year and ive been trying to refine my school list. Heres my rundown

LizzyM ~71 (high GPA, average MCAT)
CA resident, with strong NY state ties (born there, lived there for 14 years, went to undergrad there)
BS and MS degree in biomedical engineering (MS at top 25)

ECs include 120+ hours clinical in hospital and rehab center over 5 months and counting, 25+ hours shadowing ortho surgeon and cardiologist, 3+ years research with one publication and 1-2 more (one first author) in the making, 3+ years teaching experience, and a bit of community service here and there (won a small award for my community service contributions to phi eta sigma during the 2007-2008 academic year). Volunteer tutor for low income schools in my city for 1 year (only 10 or so hours a semester but still...)

I made a preliminary list but I want to pare it down to about 25 schools (im keeping all my CA schools):
***=reach **=medium *=safety

Quinnipiac*
Penn State* (do they allow students to use another letter in the place of the non-science?)
Georgetown**
GWU**
Hofstra*
Wake Forest**
Rush**
Oakland*
UCD**
UCLA***
UCSD***
UCSF***
USC***
UCR**
Vermont**
Alabama**
Rochester***
VCU**
VT carilion*
SUNY stony brook**
SUNY buffalo**
Albany*
Arizona**
Tulane*
Cincy**
Toledo**
Rosalind Franklin*
Drexel** (do they allow students to use another letter in the place of the non-science?)
EVMS* (do they allow students to use another letter in the place of the non-science?)
Cooper*

Please let me know what schools to add or take off. My goal is to keep it to around 20-25 schools, preferably 22-23.

drexel emailed me saying that a letter from an employer will suffice for the non-science requirement.

VT and tulane dont take many OOS i think

I would take off GWU (they receive around 14,000 apps), Alabama, Buffalo, Arizona, Stony Brook (low OOS matriculants), and VT-Carillion (very small class size).

Members don't see this ad :)
Alabama's mission statement indicates a strong inclination toward those with a committment to the state. Do you have a compelling reason to serve in AL?

They did take 24 OOS last year but I'll bet they were from neighboring states.

I would take off GWU (they receive around 14,000 apps), Alabama, Buffalo, Arizona, Stony Brook (low OOS matriculants), and VT-Carillion (very small class size).

I checked the MSAR for stony brook and they take in more OOS than any other suny (~25%), but i will reconsider. And isn't arizona supposed to become more OOS friendly, i thought that was their plan? Not sure though...

If your nonmedical community service is as skimpy as you imply, you might reconsider Georgetown and USouthern California. Or maybe you were just being modest?

Everyone's cutpoint is different for what they consider acceptable odds when applying to state schools that are not their own. Personally, I think that if a school matriculates at least 15% OOS, it's worth including if you fulfill their stated mission.

If your nonmedical community service is as skimpy as you imply, you might reconsider Georgetown and USouthern California. Or maybe you were just being modest?

Everyone's cutpoint is different for what they consider acceptable odds when applying to state schools that are not their own. Personally, I think that if a school matriculates at least 15% OOS, it's worth including if you fulfill their stated mission.

I see...so USC is also big on helping the needy?