help me !! still in highschool, do I need pre-med school ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

G.Else

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
First of all, let me apologize if these questions have been answered already, but I haven't been able to find anything useful, and also for my bad english.
I'm from Romania, and here in the Eastern part the universities are awful.. Anyway, in my country admissions are based on an entrance exam and big highschool grades whether you've studied Science or Humanities. So, I'm year 10 [from 12] in highschool and I'm studying Humanities.I have good grades [an average of 9 of 10]. I've decided that I'd like to go to the med school in Europe, Turkey or India.
Now, the question is, when I'll finish highschool should I go to a PRE-MED school or some kind of courses for Biology and Chemistry ?I'll have some classes in order to prepare for the exam but they don't give a diploma/certificate. I know that on the other continents like USA it's necessary to do it or go to a college . In UK they also ask for science background.. If we are talking about Europe I'm thinking about Spain( I have a diploma in Spanish language),Denmark or Sweden. I'm more into them because they are cheaper and still good.
On the universities's websites they don't mention the requirements very clearly, and they also don't reply to e-mails so that's why I'm asking here.
Thanks in advance !!

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, let me apologize if these questions have been answered already, but I haven't been able to find anything useful, and also for my bad english.
I'm from Romania, and here in the Eastern part the universities are awful.. Anyway, in my country admissions are based on an entrance exam and big highschool grades whether you've studied Science or Humanities. So, I'm year 10 [from 12] in highschool and I'm studying Humanities.I have good grades [an average of 9 of 10]. I've decided that I'd like to go to the med school in Europe, Turkey or India.
Now, the question is, when I'll finish highschool should I go to a PRE-MED school or some kind of courses for Biology and Chemistry ?I'll have some classes in order to prepare for the exam but they don't give a diploma/certificate. I know that on the other continents like USA it's necessary to do it or go to a college . In UK they also ask for science background.. If we are talking about Europe I'm thinking about Spain( I have a diploma in Spanish language),Denmark or Sweden. I'm more into them because they are cheaper and still good.
On the universities's websites they don't mention the requirements very clearly, and they also don't reply to e-mails so that's why I'm asking here.
Thanks in advance !!

If your English is good, you should consider the UK. Medical research is very english dominated so it might be advantageous. In addition, you are EU so you would also be paying home fees which are quite low and for Scotland it is either free or less then 2000 pounds a year. Otherwise, you do need to do some sort of biology and chemistry in order to apply to the UK for sure although I'm not sure about romanian qualifications, i know they accept A levels and IB so if you have those you are set. I don't know much about the other European countries sorry.

In my country the school system is different, the only way to get a place at a uni in GB is to do a foundation year..
Although they have some of the best unis in the world, I don't know why but I've always haven't been attracted to UK&surroundings, so this will probably be one of the last options..

Members don't see this ad :)
Sweden and Denmark don't require any undergraduate degree. That being said, you will need to be somewhat fluent in Swedish or Danish if you want to study there. Since admission is mostly a numbers game, perfect grades(in most cases) will be required.

Perfect grades in science path ?
I'm studying Humanities.. Ok I have -A-s at Chemistry,Biology and B-s in Maths and Physics, but they are just grades, not exams and things like that.
Anyway, are you studying there?
There is Karolinska Institute in Sweden and University of Copenhagen in Denmark.. As I've heard Karolinska has a very good reputation and it's very appreciated even in the US.. But still, what's your opinion ?

I'm studying Humanities.. Ok I have -A-s at Chemistry,Biology and B-s in Maths and Physics, but they are just grades, not exams and things like that.
There is Karolinska Institute in Sweden and University of Copenhagen in Denmark.. As I've heard Karolinska has a very good reputation and it's very appreciated even in the US.. But still, what's your opinion ?
Less than 10 % of applicants get accepted at Karolinska. Judging from the statistics, this spring only 9 of them were foreigners. You will need to have grades corresponding to the maximum in Sweden (22.50). In addition you'll have to get a good score on the Swedish SAT, which requires proficiency in Swedish. My opinion(and the truth to be honest) is that if you do not have perfect grades and fluency in Swedish, you might as well forget about it. I believe the same goes for Copenhagen.

Karolinska is definitely well recognized in the US. Its one of a few schools in mainland Europe that physicians will have heard of.

I guess you should consider Spain in your case. Either way, I would definitely prefer to stay in the EU for medical school since you can then practice anywhere in the EU when you graduate. I would definitely choose any EU school over any school in Turkey or India.