Help me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grumpiestcat

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm in a minor pickle right now. I applied to a masters program in bioengineering as a back-up in case I have to reapply to med school. I'm currently sitting on one waitlist and waiting on two post-interview decisions, and I just got an offer from the bioengineering program.

The problem is, the bioengineering program wants me to respond by the end of next week, and I don't think I will have any new decisions by then. My questions are:

1) If I accept the offer to bioengineering and reapply, will that put a black mark on my application during my second cycle since I could still have been accepted this time around?
2) Should I call the schools that I'm waiting on to see if they can help me out or would it be damaging if they knew I hadn't been accepted elsewhere?

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

...Accept the bioengineering and drop it if you get into med school?

Check and make sure there are no binding monetary obligations associated with accepting the bioengineering program. If there are none, accept the position and wait until you hear back from the medical schools you applied to. If you don't get in, no harm done. If you do get in, you have two options. You could approach the medical school and ask to defer your enrollment for one year in order to pursue the bioengineering masters program. While this isn't common, medical schools do allow you to defer an acceptance in special circumstances.

The other option of course is to notify the folks at the bioengineering program that you won't be attending as soon as you hear back from med school.

I wouldn't recommend calling any medical school. This is already a hectic in the lives of admissions staff and your pleas have just as much of a chance to reduce your chances as they do of increasing them.

Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Accept your bioengineering, as long as you haven't signed anything your still free. Your real decision isn't for another month or two

Thanks, guys! I wasn't sure if it would be rude to accept the offer if I intend to withdraw down the road