Help me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mjkobe140

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
trying to get as much feedback and help as i can. graduated from undergrad last year, taking graduate classes to improve gpa. stats: cgpa:3.36 sgpa:3.14 non-sci: 3.65 with improving trend got all A's in 3 grad classes last semester. MCAT scores: 21R, 21R, 25 S. the two 21's i took the mcat back to back in 2 weeks with the stupid idea that i could somewhat improve my score a couple points, but eventually ended up improving 4 points. applied to do schools, sending in my secondaries, and waiting to hear back. know my chances are slim and i am an underdog. does anybody have any suggestions on what i should do in this upcoming fall if i don't get in? i have taken grad classes to improve my chances, but my gpa will go up only slightly, not drastically. considering graduate science programs or msbs, but that doesn't guarantee med school and not sure if the scope for science masters jobs are great without med school. considering starting an mba since i was a business minor also; want a decent job if med school doesn't pan out. i am taking 3 grad science classes this semester and hope to do well to continue to raise science g.pa. should i retake the mcat one last time, but i have heard taking more than 3 times looks bad; unsure whether to take it 4th and final time in april and apply one last time for 2014 entering class if don't get in this year. one final question: thinking of retaking an undergrad bio or chem this summer; should i do this and apply in mid august by the time grades come in for those courses or should i apply as early as possible on june 1st; one month after this semester ends? just very confused about what happens next in my life.

Members don't see this ad.

No sure why you are wasting your time on graduate courses that don't mean anything. You need to have good grades in the undergrad pre-reqs that prepare you for the MCAT. I personally took the MCAT 4 times and I didn't have the best score but I took all the pre-reqs over at the same time and came out of that year with a 3.9. Need to do the classes that matter. Know you probably will need to apply DO (there is nothing wrong with that) and be the doctor you want to be. Definitely apply June 1st because earlier is better.

most of the grad classes im taking are cross-referenced with undergrad classes and have material that is exactly on the mcat. have improved my overall gpa and science gpa with these classes and these classes will def help me with mcat studying if i take it again i feel; also wanted to get a feel about what high level science classes would be like as many of them are tied to the school's medical school. overall i have been able to improve my gpa's, mcat and hope to continue to do so. just want to make sure i can get at least 2-3 points higher if i take mcat a 4th time.

Members don't see this ad :)
You need to really study for the MCAT. You'll only really be able to re-do your GPA if you go through an SMP program or a post-bacc.

You need like a 30+ to get into medical school. Don't hope to raise your score 2 or 3 points, just work to raise your score into the 30s otherwise you're just wasting your time and money. Buckle down. Do practice tests. Study for as long as it takes to get your score where it needs to be.

ok. yeah are you right. i was able to improve my gpa a couple of hundreds of a point max tenth of a point, but yeah i know average mcat for do schools is 26 or 27 usually and having a 30 or higher will be really good. i just hope i can get to that point. also with my stats i am hearing more and more that i should consider applying june 1st. thank you for the tips and feedback.