MD & DO Help!!! Need to know if I have a shot...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coquis1111

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! (First post ever)

I'm a nontraditional student, female, Mexican-American
2.74 sGPA in my postbacc
3.14 GPA undergrad for Business
25 MCAT (BS 9,V 9,PS 7)
380 volunteer hours in hospital, 400+ shadowing hours in underserved community clinic
Have worked managing my father's primary care medical office for 7 years (why I decided to go into medicine myself) in an also underserved community - lots of shadowing experience done there as well. Hoping to open a second location soon!

Had major family issues last year which caused my GPA to drop significantly - received lots of C's but I've managed an upward trend. I'm taking a series of upper-divison bio classes in the coming semesters and retaking some of the classes in which I received C's. I should get around a 2.9 if I Ace this quarter (3 weeks left!)

I would love to do either MD or DO route, if I have a chance....but DO I??

I appreciate any comments and advice :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys! (First post ever)

I'm a nontraditional student, female, Mexican-American
2.74 sGPA in my postbacc
3.14 GPA undergrad for Business
25 MCAT (BS 9,V 9,PS 7)
380 volunteer hours in hospital, 400+ shadowing hours in underserved community clinic
Have worked managing my father's primary care medical office for 7 years (why I decided to go into medicine myself) in an also underserved community - lots of shadowing experience done there as well. Hoping to open a second location soon!

Had major family issues last year which caused my GPA to drop significantly - received lots of C's but I've managed an upward trend. I'm taking a series of upper-divison bio classes in the coming semesters and retaking some of the classes in which I received C's. I should get around a 2.9 if I Ace this quarter (3 weeks left!)

I would love to do either MD or DO route, if I have a chance....but DO I??

I appreciate any comments and advice :)
I am so sorry to tell you that this application is not ready yet.
Depending on your under-grad, there should be someone who can help you rehab this.
If you are in CA there are programs at most of the UC's that can help.

I am so sorry to tell you that this application is not ready yet.
Depending on your under-grad, there should be someone who can help you rehab this.
If you are in CA there are programs at most of the UC's that can help.

So not a good chance this year?

Members don't see this ad :)
So not a good chance this year?
You can be a doctor, but it will require some serious rehabilitation of your gpa.
Depending on your state, personal qualities, language skills and degree desires, another MCAT may also be in order.
What happened in the post-bac?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for replying! I'm from CA, lived in Mexico for about two years when I was younger so I'm fluent 100% in Spanish. I would like to continue helping the Spanish-speaking, underserved...maybe primary care??

I've been working for 7 years running the business by myself, working full-time. I guess giving myself enough study time wasn't always an option.

I agree, maybe retaking the MCAT is the best thing to do....does it look bad if I retake classes? I'm also signed up for some upper division bio (currently taking molecular bio, immunology next quarter)

Thanks again!