Help needed for "appeal plagiarism"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Violence, particularly domestic violence, is not tolerated and that was not one of my examples.
You are talking about alcohol being the reason for a lapse of judgment which may lead to pissing in an alley, or driving intoxicated, none of which are tolerated. You are, for some reason, differentiating alcohol-influenced violations as a special case... one that merits some sort of leniency. The sad thing is you are endangering lives in this case... something that should go against the ethos of a hopeful physician.

Would we expell a medical student who was nabbed for DUI in a roadside check? Would we dismiss a resident for the same? a faculty member? If we wouldn't throw them out, why wouldn't we consider someone who did the same before applying to medical school.
So it is more for consistency than adhering to some rational ethical foundation?

Not sure what you are asking about China.... do Chinese people going to school in China cheat more often?
Wasn't really trying to make a point about the Chinese as I was trying to present a situation other than drunkeness that may lead impaired judgment. Saying that copying a couple paragraphs for an english class constitutes a character flaw, but operating a vehicle under the influence of alcohol is simply "impaired judgment" is absolutely outrageous.

Members don't see this ad.

Seems pretty harsh for it being a rough draft. I know in my English classes all you had to do was put "citations pending" on the last page, or just cut/paste some URLs from the pages and you could quote all you wanted in the rough drafts. Of course, you were definitely expected to correctly cite everything for the final drafts (and we did have at least one person get a zero for plagiarism). I suppose I would have to see the teacher's syllabus to know what his policy was on the matter, but I can say with certainty that no one in my English classes would have gotten suspended for failure to cite a source on a rough draft.

That said, from the OPs description of the events it sounds like their intent was to actually pass the work off as their own. The whole "I was stressed and copied some pages in and don't remember what was mine and what was copied" implies far more nefarious intent than "I didn't have time to fill out the Works Cited page".

In this case, I think the school correctly identified the fact that this was an attempt to cheat the system and not just a minor moment of laziness and believe they acted appropriately.

For the OP: you've been given very solid advice on how to attempt to recover from this situation. A large part of that, I believe, needs to be your acceptance of the fact that no one is to blame here but yourself. It doesn't matter if you believe the teacher acted lazy or talked about sex or changed their syllabus. What *does* matter is that you copied someone else's work without intending to give them credit for it and got caught. Be honest about that and work on demonstrating that you've learned your lesson and you might have some sort of chance. It is not likely to be a very good chance, but there might be a small one.

i feel bad for op as i was also pretty bad at english during my freshman year in high school but giving excuses such as "I was extremely stressed" is just unacceptable in university academics. Also, I just have a question, if you are that bad at English that means you are not from America and probably doesn't have an American citizenship, then why are you preparing for medical school? isn't it almost impossible for non American citizens to get accepted to medical school in the United States?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't understand why anybody feels bad for the OP. My jaw hits the floor after reading each of her posts..

I don't understand why anybody feels bad for the OP. My jaw hits the floor after reading each of her posts..
Because when someone fails epic-ly, any word of advice, encouragement, is good karma for us. :)

But dont you think that somebody can learn from it and develop their character in that way?

OP has a long shot, but I think will be looked at if she is outstanding in some areas..like a 40 on MCAT, some unique ECs...etc etc

This too. :p

so then what? if someone has an academic infringement, then they have 0 chance of getting in to an md school in the states? Dont u think that at least one school (even the lowest ranked) is willing to consider that the person has grown since then? Especially if it happened years ago?

OP has a long shot, but I think will be looked at if she is outstanding in some areas..like a 40 on MCAT, some unique ECs...etc etc

well whats the alternative? do school? caribbean?

well whats the alternative? do school? caribbean?

I think it is important to point out that LizzyM is from an elite private university and her "standards' are not applicable to all other medical schools. That is why you apply broadly.

The situation actually depends on what the OP's status in USA is - if she has no green card, and applies as international student, then I would say stick a fork in it now. Because her choices of schools to apply to are limited, and these are top-tier schools that will give her no chance due to academic dishonesty.

I think it is important to point out that LizzyM is from an elite private university and her "standards' are not applicable to all other medical schools. That is why you apply broadly.

The situation actually depends on what the OP's status in USA is - if she has no green card, and applies as international student, then I would say stick a fork in it now. Because her choices of schools to apply to are limited, and these are top-tier schools that will give her no chance due to academic dishonesty.

I only ask because I am in a similar situation but I have us citizenship, and i just need to get into a us md school. i ruined my undergraduate education but i am nearly done with my masters with a 3.7, and a 30r on my mcat. I have excellent ECs as well. I feel confident about schools like Howard and Meharry, but I just found out that my 5 year old plagiarism case is still on my record.

By the way, to end the banter about post bacc, does a masters in molecular bio help much in considering an upward trend in academic maturity?

Sorry for all the questions, but my mind is reeling considering what im up against.

I only ask because I am in a similar situation but I have us citizenship, and i just need to get into a us md school. i ruined my undergraduate education but i am nearly done with my masters with a 3.7, and a 30r on my mcat. I have excellent ECs as well. I feel confident about schools like Howard and Meharry, but I just found out that my 5 year old plagiarism case is still on my record.

By the way, to end the banter about post bacc, does a masters in molecular bio help much in considering an upward trend in academic maturity?

Sorry for all the questions, but my mind is reeling considering what im up against.

Most schools (including mine) don't consider your graduate coursework much because of the expected grade inflation.

I would suggest you apply broadly.

Also, seek out unique ECs - (this might be extreme, but join the army would be one) to counter that black mark on your transcript.

Most schools (including mine) don't consider your graduate coursework much because of the expected grade inflation.

I would suggest you apply broadly.

Also, seek out unique ECs - (this might be extreme, but join the army would be one) to counter that black mark on your transcript.

Well the IA is not on my transcript, but its in my record. I guess I still have to report it. I do have an personal statement describing a rather unique experience though.