Help needed!!!! Please Read Me!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medschool aspired

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

i'll try to make this short. I'm a transfer student to VCU from overseas. I have a BS in Biology from a regionally accredited US institution overseas and am finishing up a second BS in forensic science at VCU. Most of credits got transferred to VCU and i had to finish 45 credits in my forensic science degree. I took this course of action to improve my grades in an institution within the territories of the United States (VCU), and that's what pretty much happened. All my transfer courses got a grade of T. All that appears on my transcript as Letter grades are the courses i registered and passed at VCU. Graduating this semester...

PS: I am a United States citizen and I'm 25 years old

Here are my stats:

BS Biology cGPA and sGPA: 2.4
BS Forensic Science @ VCU: 4.0
MCAT score: 35
300+ hours of surgeon shadowing including Vascular Surgery, and General Surgery
1 year research experience in forensic science
letters of recommendation from 5 professors

What are my chances of getting into VCU medical school if any in the United States? Will they ask to see my grades of the courses i took in my previous institution? Do i even have a chance to be asked for an interview?

Options i see at the moment :
1) Enter VCU Honor's College leading to preferred applicant track... That course of action will take me back 2 years since i'd have to repeat and take a lot of courses to fulfill eligibility requirements.

2) Pursue a Master's in Pharmacology & Toxicology in hopes of strengthening my application.

3) Pursue the premedical Graduate Health Sciences Certificate Program offered at VCU med school, and if not successful undertake the Master's program in Pharmacology

4) Got accepted to Columbia University's Master's program in Biotechnology so i might just take that opportunity if all else fails

5) Leave everything as is and hope for the best

Please help!!! No DO or any other aspirations... I'll do the work to get into Med school just show me the way...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
May I ask why you are so against DO? DO school is med school btw.

Reactions: 1 user
Have you submitted your primary application yet? According to the amcas instruction manual (page 13), you have to include transcripts from American colleges overseas so there's a chance you'll have to factor in your original grades as well. I'm not really sure, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you submitted your primary application yet? According to the amcas instruction manual (page 13), you have to include transcripts from American colleges overseas so there's a chance you'll have to factor in your original grades as well. I'm not really sure, though.
May I ask why you are so against DO? DO school is med school btw.

I don't have any knowledge pertaining to DO programs. What i've heard is that there are problems in matching from DO to MD. Any input on the subject is greatly appreciated! Am I even in good shape to apply to DO programs?

I didn't send out my application yet. quite honestly, i'm afraid to be found lacking in grades and get rejected. I'll go over the manual you sent me (thank you a lot for that). Made many mistakes before! trying to correct a wrong even and just confused about the whole issue! Thanks again!

If your previous institution was not an American college but a foreign one, you do not need to submit a transcript.

Sent from The World Tree using SDN Mobile