Help Needed!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fmurdoch

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a final year Bio-Veterinary Science student at the Royal Veterinary College, conducting a research project investigation on ‘The Welfare of Backyard Chickens’ and have interested in exploring whether veterinary practices are seeing an increase in chicken treatment requests.

If you are either training in the veterinary field or are practicing either as a veterinary nurse or a veterinarian I would really appreciate your participation in this survey by clicking on the link provided at the end of the page.

It should only take a maximum of 15 minutes and all the information you submit will be completely ANONYMOUS and stored in accordance with the Data Protection Act.

Many thanks for your time.

Felicity Murdoch

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Z9CGT5F

Members don't see this ad.

I am in the US. I have seen an uptick of people requesting treatment for their chickens. However, if the chicken is going back into the food production (ie laying eggs or being eaten), there are basically NO drugs that we are allowed to give (coccidastats are ok). I had a chicken that was attacked by dogs and I could not give pain medication, antibiotics, or even anesthesia to it. If the chicken had just been a pet and not being used as a layer, I would have been able to do something. But given that it is a "food animal" I still could have been called on the carpet legally.

Keep in mind that chickens in large production farms are usually sacrificed when sick because the farmers want to know if there is an outbreak of something. People with smaller flocks that know their birds personally are going to be resistant to this. But in the US, without some change in the law, there is very little we can do for these birds.

Status
Not open for further replies.