Help! No interview offers yet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RollinRollin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Am starting to get a little worried since I have not been getting any interview offers, while my classmates who are applying to psych have gotten some back. I have a good step I score (96), and step II score is pending. All 4 LoR are in. The only downside to my app is that I have not done any research. Even my safety schools have handed my classmates interviews while I did not get one.

For the folks that are getting lots of interview invites back, are your step II scores in already? Do you have many publications? I am thinking that may be the reason why I haven't been getting any interviews. Otherwise, maybe there is just something wrong with my application?

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

I doubt that no research is the reason. Did you verify that your USMLE transcript was released and that you posted your personal statement?

How many schools did you apply to?
It might also help to give us an idea of where you applied (though understandable if you don't want to divulge). Sometimes the safety school thing is trickier than it seems because sometimes if a program feels like you are "out of their league" they won't bother to interview you. They'd rather focus the resources on people they think are realistically going to wind up there. Therefore even though you have a great USMLE that may not be appealing to a small no-name community program that normally doesn't get people with those stats.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey,
that is a good thought. I am pretty certain that my application has been completed and all documents released, but I will contact my Dean's Office to make sure.

and I originally applied to 20 prog on 9/1/10 and have ended up adding 10 more as time has gone on.

I just think its odd. I guess I'll give it another week and try not to freak out.. but is anyone else in a similar position??

same. applied to >30 programs...only 2 rej.

yes rejections.
basically, they said, u suck go away.

they said we are not interested in pursuing your app further. good luck.
no, not Ivy's.

friend, your iv's will come soon, fear not.

RollinRollin- Are you an international grad, by any chance? I just ask because I've only heard international folks refer to their step 1 by the 2 digit score instead of the 3.
For the folks that are getting lots of interview invites back, are your step II scores in already? Do you have many publications? I am thinking that may be the reason why I haven't been getting any interviews.
No and no. I agree with psychattending that research is probably not the reason for not hearing back.

This may be more reflective of the programs you're applying to. I applied to about 20 odd schools, pretty much on the first day, and 3 have not even downloaded applications yet.

hey notdeadyet...
I'm not an IMG, just a reg US M.D. student. I just refer to the 2-digit score b/c I hear that's what programs primarily look at.

Still no interviews yet :( I emailed my adviser and he said to give it another week or two before i start emailing programs

Wow, I don't get it. You're a US grad with a great step 1 (no course failures I take it?), from what everyone tells me you should be somewhere.

Good luck, keep us updated, got my fingers crossed for you all :xf:

Everybody calm down. It's way too early to give up hope. Many schools have not even started setting up interviewes yet. Then there is that second waive later on, when interviews go out because folks start dropping some of their multiple interviews. Stay calm and eat a peach.

Don't panic. Some of us are new program directors and still learning to use ERAS. I am swamped with over 500 applications and it really is hard to sort through all that and decide. We are also aware that some people have not yet submitted their applications. Some of us work by committee. I do not make decisions all by myself as to whom to interview. Obviously faculty don't all look through every application. But we have to discuss things like the importance of board scores, letters of recommendation, med school name, etc. before I can generate a list. I would not suggest you panic until mid-October. If, however, you have a favorite place, you should consider doing an elective rotation there. Occasionally program directors like a brief email as to specifically why you like their place, though some will ignore all emails as they are too swamped.

Wow, I don't get it. You're a US grad with a great step 1 (no course failures I take it?), from what everyone tells me you should be somewhere.

Good luck, keep us updated, got my fingers crossed for you all :xf:

I agree. Fingers crossed.

So if mid october is the timeline that US grads without interviews should worry, then what would you say is the timeline that foreign grads without interviews should start worrying? Early november?

I'm a recent US based foreign grad, am currently doing psychiatry research at a top tier institution; am ecfmg certified, but passed step 2ck on the second attempt. Of course, there is the grim possibility that there wont be any interviews due to a repeat attempt, so I am really worried now.

Any suggestions? Should I start emailing programs? I dont have any invites, but I also dont have any rejections. Of course, there could be silent rejections, so I dont know.

So if mid october is the timeline that US grads without interviews should worry, then what would you say is the timeline that foreign grads without interviews should start worrying? Early november?

I'm a recent US based foreign grad, am currently doing psychiatry research at a top tier institution; am ecfmg certified, but passed step 2ck on the second attempt. Of course, there is the grim possibility that there wont be any interviews due to a repeat attempt, so I am really worried now.

Any suggestions? Should I start emailing programs? I dont have any invites, but I also dont have any rejections. Of course, there could be silent rejections, so I dont know.

It's still early. If you can afford it, just apply broadly to a wide wage of programs and you'll be fine.

yes, i did! thank you to everyone that commented on my post. just getting a couple of interviews has significantly decreased my cortisol levels :) in contrast to what it seems like on the psych interview offers thread, i think most people are just beginning to get some