Help on master plan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Barfalamule

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a postbacc premed just finishing up my first semester. I'm having some difficulty in deciding how to approach the summer semester and fall-the problem being that I want to take Biochem and Cell Biology before taking the MCAT. Bear with me here for a moment as I lay this out:

1st semester:
Bio I, Chem I, Phys I, History(just for fun)
summer semester:
First part: Phys IL(couldn't fit in sched.), Orgo I
Second part: Bio II, Chem II
fall semester:
BioChem I, Cell Biology, Physics II, maybe Spanish or World Religions for fun
last semester:
Orgo II, Biochem II??, Independent research study??, MCAT

Total ~45 credit hours of sciences spread across 4 semesters. Now here's the issue. I'm taking Orgo before Chem II and BioChem before Orgo II, which means I'm taking these classes out of order. I've already heard that Orgo before Chem II isn't really a problem, but what about BioChemistry before Orgo II? Do any of you feel that there's really no reason that I should bust my butt just to take biochem and cell biology when the MCAT doesn't require it (even though I've heard these classes are helpful). I'm also taking BioChem for a possible recommendation opportunity from faculty, so there's more to it than just advanced MCAT prep. And I'd like to do the Independent Research project as a way of getting a little research under my belt before applying to med schools. I laid all this out to my adviser and got a "whatever you feel comfortable with" response.
I'm not working during this time and I'm starting to volunteer again at a local hospital for more clinical exposure next week.
Any thought on this plan with regards to course load, well-roundedness, etc.?

Members don't see this ad.

I would not take so many classes the same semester as studying for the MCAT.