Help on this situation? Please.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amar314

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I was taking Bio 1 this semester and had been doing pretty well to probably end up with an A-. However, on the last exam I had skipped an answer to go back to...unfortunately I forgot to skip it on the scantron and my last 5-7 answers were wrong. I had felt confident on all my answers and correctly chose them all on the actual exam (which was kept along with my scantron). I noticed the mistake at the last minute and there was nothing I could do. I left but couldn't get over it and came back to talk to the professor 5 minutes later. He told me that he was sorry but there was nothing he could do, however, if the grade was too absurd I could email him to see if he could do something about it. Today the grade is in, 69%. My grade in the class will probably be a B. Now I don't know what to do because part of me wants to fight for the grade and email him but another part of me knows that bubbling in correctly is part of taking an exam and in the end I should have been more careful and checked so I deserve the 69%.

It normally wouldn't be a big deal to get a B...I get it. The problem is that my GPA is pretty low because of a bad first semester freshmen year and I have been working so hard to bring it up. I studied like crazy for this exam.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

Unless the exam was like 20 questions, you were still going to be getting a C on it even if you got the last 5-7 correct. He did tell you that you could email him to see if there was something he could do about it, so I don't think you would be in the wrong just to shoot him that email.

Calculate your overall grade. If a re-grade on the exam would bring you back up to an A-, then I think you have a case for yourself. If it just gives you a better B, then you come off like you're grade grubbing and I wouldn't bother. This is a valuable lesson to check your work, the professor doesn't owe you anything and was quite nice to tell you to email him about it.

Reactions: 1 users
Those 5-7 questions would still leave you in the C range, depending on their point value and number of questions. If your professor said he'd discuss it if your grade was too low, then lost email him and set up a meeting to see if it would even change your grade at all.