help please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JediSkanks

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there, I'm very new to these boards, but have a question I'd appreciate some help on. I am a recent graduate from Boston University with a degree in economics and environmental policy. I am currently a vet tech student, scheduled to complete my degree in december. I plan to work for a few months and then start a post bacc program of some type in summer of 2006. I will continue to work part time as a licensed tech while I completely my science prereques.

Western University in California looks wonderful to me. My only concern is that they have a lot of prereques that I wasn't expecting. Written Communication in Science? Interesting. Nutrition also seems like it might be a problem to find. I think their program is great, and their admission requirements reflect that, but I'm worried about being able to find a program that will offer all those classes. Do you think it would look bad if I took some courses at more than one school? I currently live in Pittsburgh and could easily take some classes at U Pitt before I started a more structured post bac program. That would mean submitting something like three different transcripts though. I'm worried it will look like I'm all over the place, but really, I have everything very carefully planned out. Anyone have any experience with something like this? Advice? Comments? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

JediSkanks said:
Hi there, I'm very new to these boards, but have a question I'd appreciate some help on. I am a recent graduate from Boston University with a degree in economics and environmental policy. I am currently a vet tech student, scheduled to complete my degree in december. I plan to work for a few months and then start a post bacc program of some type in summer of 2006. I will continue to work part time as a licensed tech while I completely my science prereques.

Western University in California looks wonderful to me. My only concern is that they have a lot of prereques that I wasn't expecting. Written Communication in Science? Interesting. Nutrition also seems like it might be a problem to find. I think their program is great, and their admission requirements reflect that, but I'm worried about being able to find a program that will offer all those classes. Do you think it would look bad if I took some courses at more than one school? I currently live in Pittsburgh and could easily take some classes at U Pitt before I started a more structured post bac program. That would mean submitting something like three different transcripts though. I'm worried it will look like I'm all over the place, but really, I have everything very carefully planned out. Anyone have any experience with something like this? Advice? Comments? Thanks!
Hi! I am currently a second year student at Western. Your concerns are pretty popular questions. They do not look down on taking courses at different colleges. I would contact Karen Hutton-Lopez (the admissions director) with your questions, she is really helpful and fast in her responses. I believe that her email address is klopez AT westernu DOT edu (replace AT with @ and DOT with . and take out spaces.). I am sure she can help you find the classes you need.

Chris

Thanks so much! I will definately take your advice. :)

-Diana

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the same situation, and I'm sort of piecing things together. I have a bachelor's, I'm in a formal post-bacc now, and I'll also be taking classes at at least two other schools to fill in the prereqs.

They do seem to be pretty generous when it comes to accepting courses for prereqs, though. For instance, they accepted a seminar course I took as a religion major that was basically comparative scripture of major world traditions to count for the finance/global perspectives class. That was a bit of a stretch, but I'm not complaining! :)

Good for you! Just out of curiosity, where are you taking your prerequisites? Looks like mine will be coming from Stony Brook. I'm thinking of going in as a second bachelor's degree student, but I dunno. So many decisions! :confused:

ps.
go vegan!