Help - Premed Courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QRMCAT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would it be better if I take my premed courses by enrolling into a post-baccalaureate program OR just take the required courses individually at a community college? I am wondering because to enroll into a post-bac premed program it would cost me a lot more than paying to take the individual courses that I need at a community college. My undergrad degree is in psychology, I did not take any science courses.

Members don't see this ad.

Would it be better if I take my premed courses by enrolling into a post-baccalaureate program OR just take the required courses individually at a community college? I am wondering because to enroll into a post-bac premed program it would cost me a lot more than paying to take the individual courses that I need at a community college. My undergrad degree is in psychology, I did not take any science courses.

You could take the courses whichever way is best for you. A lot of nontrads do DIY, some do postbaccs.

Reactions: 1 user

How you take the premed courses isn't that important and undergrad degree doesn't make much of a difference. The biggest factor is making the best grades possible. A small caveat, if you went to a 4yr college/university and majored in Psychology and made C, D, & F's and then make A's at a community college science it might bring your academic skills into question.

That said, from asking med school adcoms most DO schools are OK with community college. Some MD schools are and some are not. So if you're going MD then you'd want to check on the specific schools you'd be interested in attending or play it safe.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That said, from asking med school adcoms most DO schools are OK with community college. Some MD schools are and some are not. So if you're going MD then you'd want to check on the specific schools you'd be interested in attending or play it safe.

I called and asked one school I'm considering about community college for pre-reqs. I got, "Well, you know, there's technically nothing to say you can't. But the admissions committee does take that kind of thing into consideration." Which I took to mean, "Honey, of COURSE you can take those classes at community college! You just can't go to Med school here if you do."

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 users
-
I called and asked one school I'm considering about community college for pre-reqs. I got, "Well, you know, there's technically nothing to say you can't. But the admissions committee does take that kind of thing into consideration." Which I took to mean, "Honey, of COURSE you can take those classes at community college! You just can't go to Med school here if you do."

Was it a DO or MD school?

It's an MD school.

It's an MD school.

Yep, you will find that often is the case with MD schools. So if you want an MD you do what will maximize your chances. The goal is to make yourself the best candidate possible. That is what 40000+ others are doing. Again, DO schools aren't as concerned with where.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone for the reply. It was very helpful!

Some schools don't care, some accept them on a case by case basis, and others won't take them. Before you spend hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars doing coursework, spend $20 on the MSAR and an hour calling the schools you're most interested in.

Do you not have a non-CC university near by (like a local university, state or private)? You can typically enroll as non-degree seeking and still take the classes. You might have some slight issues with limited space in the class for non-degree seeking students, but it's better than rolling the dice on a CC. And if it's public, it shouldn't be much more expensive than your local CC.

FWIW, I did this at a private, local college and allied myself with the pre-med advisor. The DIY path did not let me down.

Do you not have a non-CC university near by (like a local university, state or private)? You can typically enroll as non-degree seeking and still take the classes. You might have some slight issues with limited space in the class for non-degree seeking students, but it's better than rolling the dice on a CC. And if it's public, it shouldn't be much more expensive than your local CC.

FWIW, I did this at a private, local college and allied myself with the pre-med advisor. The DIY path did not let me down.
I was told to enroll as seeking a second bachelors, as it would make registration easier. Non degree seeking students often end up last to register so getting a class you need can be difficult at a busier University.

Reactions: 2 users

Ok, I will look around and call to see if this is something available that I could do.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was told to enroll as seeking a second bachelors, as it would make registration easier. Non degree seeking students often end up last to register so getting a class you need can be difficult at a busier University.

Yes, this would be a problem, and if I were to seek a second bachelor I probably would just enroll into a post-bac premed program.

I found a local non-CC univeristy that will allow me to take the classes individually without pursing a degree, BUT the classes are online. Is it okay if I take online classes for my premed or should the classes be taken face-to-face?

I found a local non-CC univeristy that will allow me to take the classes individually without pursing a degree, BUT the classes are online. Is it okay if I take online classes for my premed or should the classes be taken face-to-face?

Some schools accept online courses for prereqs. I would say most only accept some, or don't accept them at this point.

Why not apply as a 2nd degree seeker, say in biology, and then take the prereqs and apply to medical school? They're still getting your money and you're still taking classes whether you get around to finishing or not. The non-degree seeking designation allows you to take courses that don't fit into a degree plan, but a science major should let you take everything you need. Particularly since you already have a degree in psych, so you're good on social sciences.

For MD programs they feel about online core prerecs similarly to the way they do cc. I found post bac courses cost more to attend the same class at several universities. It doesn't matter if you complete a postbac or second bs, as long as you take the needed courses.

Okay, so the medical school that I'm looking into applying to said that they take online and CC pre-reqs, but they did make sure that I understand they're only speaking for their school. I read on some other threads that some schools do not show on the transcript whether or not the classes were taken online so that might be a good thing when applying to other medical schools but I'm concern about labs work and I would prefer to do them in person at a brick and mortar school and be able to get the experience face-to-face with the professor and other students. I will have to think very hard about this if I want to pursue my pre-reqs online.

My last option would likely be to seek a second bs degree. But I am getting old and I'm not sure if I want to wait another 4 years to compete my pre-reqs. Also, I'm working full-time and so day classes will not fit into my schedule unless I quit and find a night shift job. I'm not rich and need to work to pay bills. ;)

My last option would likely be to seek a second bs degree. But I am getting old and I'm not sure if I want to wait another 4 years to compete my pre-reqs. Also, I'm working full-time and so day classes will not fit into my schedule unless I quit and find a night shift job. I'm not rich and need to work to pay bills. ;)

I'm in the same boat. Pursuing a second BS would be great in terms of getting financial aid, but I only need 7 classes to fulfill my pre-req requirements, whereas I would probably need 12-15 more classes to actually get a second degree. That's a lot of additional time and expense to incur. I'd rather pay for the few classes I have to take out of pocket and be done in two years instead of 4.

I'm in the same boat. Pursuing a second BS would be great in terms of getting financial aid, but I only need 7 classes to fulfill my pre-req requirements, whereas I would probably need 12-15 more classes to actually get a second degree. That's a lot of additional time and expense to incur. I'd rather pay for the few classes I have to take out of pocket and be done in two years instead of 4.
You can enroll for a second bs but not complete it. My advisor recommended I do that because it gives earlier registration, which means you get the courses you need vs the class being full. When done shoot an email to your advisor withdrawing and ur done.

Many DOs will take cc and some online, but many MD not for core sciences. So make sure at the schools you are applying otherwise you might end up screwed if you were accepted and they suddenly find out you didn't take the class/labs in person.

You can enroll for a second bs but not complete it. My advisor recommended I do that because it gives earlier registration, which means you get the courses you need vs the class being full. When done shoot an email to your advisor withdrawing and ur done.

I think a number of people probably do that. It seems a little shady to me - I'd probably want to talk to an advisor about that before I did it, just to have someone to pin it on if it came back to bite me. I mean, I don't suppose it illegal, but surely it's kind of unethical to claim to be pursuing a degree just to get priority registration and financial aid, all the while knowing you're just taking the pre-reqs you need then getting out of there. And I'm hoping to go to med school at the same school where I'm doing pre-reqs, so I certainly don't want to get on that particular school's bad side.

I think a number of people probably do that. It seems a little shady to me - I'd probably want to talk to an advisor about that before I did it, just to have someone to pin it on if it came back to bite me. I mean, I don't suppose it illegal, but surely it's kind of unethical to claim to be pursuing a degree just to get priority registration and financial aid, all the while knowing you're just taking the pre-reqs you need then getting out of there. And I'm hoping to go to med school at the same school where I'm doing pre-reqs, so I certainly don't want to get on that particular school's bad side.

Not unethical at all. If you didn't get into med school the first round through then you are in a program that will give you continued education for a degree and make you a better applicant for the next cycle. ~60% of applicants don't get in, so being already in a degree prog can make continuing to take classes easier and a second degree can make you more competitive.

A lot of universities (and states for fin aid) limit the number of classes one can take as a non-degree seeker. At my university (and others I've attended) students do it often for needed courses (often BA/BS in psychology or biology) and the university looks at it as free and easy money. Second degree seekers and premeds are also often model students who require minimal extra services. Not once during any of my med or other doctoral school interviews or even when I interviewed others for doctoral progs/internship/residency has enrollment status ever came up. Doesn't make a difference to me so up to you, shrugs.

Now taking up a slot for a competitive masters or doctoral program is another story and that could raise a red flag or make someone mad if writing you a rec letter.

Not unethical at all. If you didn't get into med school the first round through then you are in a program that will give you continued education for a degree and make you a better applicant for the next cycle. ~60% of applicants don't get in, so being already in a degree prog can make continuing to take classes easier and a second degree can make you more competitive.

That's a great point. I hadn't thought about that, but yeah, I guess if I don't get in when I apply next summer, it would make sense for me to keep taking classes, huh? Maybe a chemistry degree - once I get my pre-reqs done, I'll only be seven classes away from it anyway, so I might as well do that while waiting to re-apply.

An academic advisor at my university told me I could do second degree and only complete the prereqs or do non degree seeking and specifically request the prereqs. My university's fin aid office allows a person to solely complete prereqs as a non degree with signed permission from academic advisor stating the required number of classes and aid will be given for student to take the specified classes. The aid given is Stafford Loans. Also a note, second degrees and non degree students are only eligible for stafford loans, work study and there is a limit to how much one can borrow in a lifetime for bachelor education. Of course you have to talk with your fin aid office and check the status of whatever current loans you may have.

My concern is that my current loans won't go into deferment if I don't go back to school full-time, which I'm not planning on doing. It would make my pre-reqs a lot easier to pay for out of pocket if my existing loans are deferred in the meantime.

My concern is that my current loans won't go into deferment if I don't go back to school full-time, which I'm not planning on doing. It would make my pre-reqs a lot easier to pay for out of pocket if my existing loans are deferred in the meantime.

Think you may need to check with your fin aid office and the National Student Loan Servicer for clarification. Thats what I was told by my fin aid office. I thought you could get in school deferment if in school part time too, but I'm not sure

It may depend on what kind of loan it is. I haven't called my loan services to work it out yet.

If they're federal loans, go on an income based plan. If you're a full time student I'm guessing you don't have any income. Thus your monthly payment = $0

If you're a full-time student, you don't need IBR. You can get your loans deferred.

I'm not going to school full-time, though. And income-based repayment won't help me, because I earn a relatively high salary at my job.