Help! Question about deferring...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rainwoman

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was accepted into med school at Univ. of Arizona. This is my state school and top choice (b/c of costs). They begin orientation July 19th! I have a contract with a company through the middle of August (it's a two year contract I signed last year), at a place I love working at. I don't want to back out on a contract, and had honestly been thinking about deferring for a year anyways in order to travel and do some medical missions.

So, any advice on how to ask for a deferrment? Write a letter? Call the school? I'm extremely nervous that they will turn my request down, as I'm not sure what I would decide to do. I honestly might turn down the spot, which would mean reapplying next year. I just turned 23, so I'm in no immediate hurry to begin med school. ANY advice is appreciated, especially if you have had experience deferring before...thanks,

rainwoman

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, another quick thought. Can someone check in a current MSAR (I can't find mine) to see what it says about whether Univ. of Arizona accepts requests for deferrals? The website says absolutely nothing about it at all. That would be a HUGE help. Thanks.

rainwoman