Help rank...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GATC

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think about these programs?

Cornell
NYU
Yale
USC

Members don't see this ad.

I guess for this one I would recommend ranking geographically. If you prefer to be on the East coast then I would rank NYU, Cornell, USC, Yale
If you prefer to be on the West Coast then bump USC to number one.
If you are ranking based on reputation then Cornell, USC likely tie NYU, Yale
If you are ranking based on operative case volume USC, NYU, Cornell, Yale

I interviewed at all of the above last year. I did not like Yale at all and I had heard bad things about the floundering Yale program from some of their recently ex-attendings. I found that Cornell was in a nice location in NYC but their residents do very few complex cases since it is so fellow heavy. NYU and USC were very similar in the fact that they are affiliated with major academic centers as well as county hospitals. This allows for a great dichotomy where you get to watch and learn but at the same time you get to do and learn. I ranked NYU and USC ahead of Cornell and I did not rank Yale.
Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you guys think about these programs?

Cornell
NYU
Yale
USC

How can you get this close to your ranking deadline, and then allow your choice to be influenced by an anonymous internet forum?

I like anonymity, especially when I'm getting close....do you wanna come over?

toward the end, i too looked for any advice i could get from anyone that might have knowledge. i think we do that because we've exhaused our own opinions and those we know around us, but are still unsettled, so you look elsewhere, untapped resources. excellent idea, IF you are truly seeking advice.

I guess for this one I would recommend ranking geographically. If you prefer to be on the East coast then I would rank NYU, Cornell, USC, Yale
If you prefer to be on the West Coast then bump USC to number one.
If you are ranking based on reputation then Cornell, USC likely tie NYU, Yale
If you are ranking based on operative case volume USC, NYU, Cornell, Yale

I interviewed at all of the above last year. I did not like Yale at all and I had heard bad things about the floundering Yale program from some of their recently ex-attendings. I found that Cornell was in a nice location in NYC but their residents do very few complex cases since it is so fellow heavy. NYU and USC were very similar in the fact that they are affiliated with major academic centers as well as county hospitals. This allows for a great dichotomy where you get to watch and learn but at the same time you get to do and learn. I ranked NYU and USC ahead of Cornell and I did not rank Yale.
Hope this helps.

Thanks that really helped actually.
It was a nice way of breaking them down and I agreed with your rankings.

Some nice advice for the OP of this thread. Bumping 5 years later...any informed opinions for the following programs welcome! Thx

Boston U Med Ctr
Lahey Clinic
Tufts Med Ctr
St Luke's Roosevelt
Beth Israel
Lenox Hill
Temple

Some nice advice for the OP of this thread. Bumping 5 years later...any informed opinions for the following programs welcome! Thx

Boston U Med Ctr
Lahey Clinic
Tufts Med Ctr
St Luke's Roosevelt
Beth Israel
Lenox Hill
Temple

Personally, I'd put BI and St Luke's above Lenox Hill. The latter is much smaller, has a higher-priced clientele (generally speaking) and was just bought out by LIJ. Can't speak to the other programs on your list.