HELP- ROTC Cadet!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

8th

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a third year contracted Army ROTC Cadet with scholarship. I have learned a lot about HPSP and understand that if I take an HPSP scholarship for dental school I will receive a very long ADSO. I don't want this. I know I should have stayed clear of ROTC, but here I am. I want to know if I break my ROTC contract in order to pursue my dream of becoming a dentist, can I apply for the HPSP. Will breaking my ROTC contract hinder my chances of receiving HPSP? Will breaking my ROTC contract hinder my chances of direct commissioning?

If I stay in ROTC what are my chances of branching Ed Delay for dentistry?
Or can I branch in the reserves and be on a non deployable status for my years in dental school?

In my case I would rather pay back the military 15k for ROTC and then have them pay for dental school with the same ADSO (about 4 years).

I know I sound selfish, but I've lived the ROTC life for 2.5 years. I know I want to be in the military, but I have decided ROTC is a road block on my path to dental school.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I am a third year contracted Army ROTC Cadet with scholarship. I have learned a lot about HPSP and understand that if I take an HPSP scholarship for dental school I will receive a very long ADSO. I don't want this. I know I should have stayed clear of ROTC, but here I am. I want to know if I break my ROTC contract in order to pursue my dream of becoming a dentist, can I apply for the HPSP. Will breaking my ROTC contract hinder my chances of receiving HPSP? Will breaking my ROTC contract hinder my chances of direct commissioning?

Or can I branch in the reserves and be on a non deployable status for my years in dental school?

In my case I would rather pay back the military 15k for ROTC and then have them pay for dental school with the same ADSO (about 4 years).

I know I sound selfish, but I've lived the ROTC life for 2.5 years. I know I want to be in the military, but I have decided ROTC is a road block on my path to dental school.

Thanks in advance!

If you want to be in the military, then why is ROTC a road block? You need to concentrate on getting accepted to a dental school/HPSP, get an educational delay, and serve all your obligations as a dentist. If it was up to me, I would say breaking your ROTC contract would not be good for getting an HPSP.

If you are able to break the ROTC contract and get out of it, then it should not hurt your chances of getting the HPSP. I was not aware that you could break your contract with ROTC, I though once you entered your 3rd year you were committed.

If you did complete ROTC you should be able to get an educational delay. Many current dental officers have gone that route. The key will be getting accepted to dental school. If you don't get accepted and you have to apply multiple times, then there is no reason they would give you a delay.

Thanks in advance!

I’ve left this one alone all week but I can’t help but say while the option of somehow breaking the ROTC contract and paying back the money would not make you ineligible for HPSP I can’t help but think of the following scenario:

Someone sitting on the HPSP Selection Board comes to an application that has a personal statement that reads something like:
“When I was young and dumb, I was looking for help to pay for undergrad. I found ROTC and I liked it. Now that I want to attend graduate school, I realize that I should have paid for the undergraduate and had ole Uncle Sammy pay for dental school. So I plead my case, broke my contract and paid back the money and it is now my life’s goal to be an Officer and Army dentist”

Or, a LOR that states “I’ve known 8th as a ROTC Cadet and he – FILL IN THE BLANK

I think the board members would have a hard time putting a record like this ahead of someone, anyone else. Also, it would come to mind that if this person broke one contract, how willing and to what extreme would he go to break another?

Honestly now, what do you think your chances would be?

To answer the question of obtaining an ed delay for dental school the Army currently has 8 HPSP students who have been granted ed delay from ROTC and one from a Service Academy.