HELP! Rush U. Biotechnology Masters or Barry University One Year Biomedical?

ShillaSaebi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!
I was recently accepted to Rush Universities one year Biotechnology program and Barry Universities one year Biomedical program for Fall of 2012. I want to apply to dental school and will be a re-applicant probably next cycle. Which school is better as far as me reaching my goal of eventually getting into dental school? Any thoughts/feedback? Please let me know. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

biotech programs are iffy. i'd go with the biomed program as you'll prob get to take more bio classes (physio, anatomy, biochem, etc). but then again, i don't know the curriculum of the biotech program

Members don't see this ad :)
RUSH UNIVERSITY 9 month BIOTECHNOLOGY CURRICULUM
GCC501 Molecular Biology: Genome to Proteome
GCC502 Cellular Biochemistry: Proteins, Transport and Signaling
BTN522 Experimental Design
BTN531 Laboratory Techniques I (introduction to laboratory: good laboratory practices, data management)
BTN532 Laboratory Techniques II (tissue culture; cell sorting)
PHR504 Introduction to Pharmacology and Physiology I

GCC503 Functional Cell Biology
GCC504 Functional Tissue Biology
GCC506 Biomedical Ethics 1
BTN521 Experimental Model Development
BTN533 Laboratory Techniques III (electrophorsis; genomics; transformation; transfection; PCR)
BTN534 Laboratory Techniques IV (study design; animal handling; surgical techniques)
BTN524 Communications in Laboratory Management
PHR505 Intro to Pharmacology and Pyhsiology II

GCC507 Medical Research Stragies/Statistics
GCC508 Writing Practicum
BTN523 Tools for Research (Experimentation II)
BTN535 Laboratory Techniques V (ELISA; chromatography; densitometry/imaging)
BTN536 Laboratory Techniques VI (histo- and immunochemistry; microscopy)
PHR506 Intro to Pharmacology and Physiology III

BARRY UNIVERSITY 1 YEAR BIOMEDICAL CURRICULUM
BMS 527 Biochemistry I
BMS 595, Physiology
BMS 553 Health Law and Ethics
BMS 559, General Dentistry

BMS 528, Biochemistry II
BMS 547, Neuroanatomy
BMS 550, Histology and Cell Biology
BMS 591, Head & Neck Anatomy (3 sh)
Comprehensive Qualifying Exam
SUMMER
Electives (6 sh)

I am looking to get accepted into dental school. Any thoughts? Feedback?

If you want a backup in case you don't get into dental school, the biotech one looks better in my opinion.

I keep hearing that both programs are good so it's hard to decide which one to choose. My ultimate goal is to go to dental, but I guess I'll wait and see if I get any more responses. Thanks

Go with the biomed degree if you prefer less lab-work and with biotech if you enjoy research.

hey i gt accepted to rush uni too...r u gonna join?

I'd say if your ultimate goal is dentistry and you feel convinced you won't waver from that, go with the biomed program. It seems more geared toward that eventual goal with useful stuff on neuroanatomy, head and neck anat, general dentistry, and biochemistry. If you're not so sure about dentistry and enjoy research, go with the biotech program. If you're still unsure after this assessment, price is a viable reason to pick one over the other since they both sound like good programs. After all, dental school is going to cost plenty without hefty additional loans packed on.