help selecting elective rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ortnakas

DO
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a second year DO student and I'm starting to look at scheduling my electives for next year. As of right now, I'm most interested in internal medicine. My 3 IM rotations land in the second half of the year, and I have one elective right before. I'm looking for suggestions as to what I should to to be the most prepared once I get to my "real" IM months. Before that elective month, I'll have had family medicine, psych, geriatrics, and two months of surgery. I will be based in a city where most specialties/subspecialties will be available, and I'm open to whatever will help me learn the most, inpatient or outpatient.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

3rd year is ideally about getting exposure to as many different specialties as possible.

IMO I'd use electives to explore fields you otherwise wouldn't see in medical school.

There's really nothing you need to be preparing for at this point.

I advise taking electives based in what requires as little time involved.

When I was a student, radiology was from 9 am to 11am, no presentation, and a virtually guaranteed great evaluation as long as you didn't show up drunk.

Learned nothing........I did three months.......It was awesome