Help, serious question about specializing!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thisisfundds

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My question is, are there any specialty programs in the world that dont look at dental school GPA that seriously, instead focus most on your board examination?

At my school, which I wont mention..It's almost sick when you find out some students have inflated GPAs using the wrong methods..For example, It seems that a lot of students get valuable hand me downs from upperclassmen they are related too, or have known before dental school..This automatically gives them an advantage and messes up the rank of students taking school seriously.

So, I haven't decided what specialty I want to go into, but before I started looking into some...I wanted to know if you guys could help and tell me if you got accepted into a program where the "BORAD/GRADUATE EXAM" had A lot of weight in comparison to rank and GPA.

This will help keep me motivated in pursuing my dream. Thank you for hearing me out.. :)

Members don't see this ad.

This will help keep me motivated in pursuing my dream

If it's your dream, you shouldn't need additional motivation just b/c some students outperform you scholastically. If you deserve to specialize, you will. If not, work for a few years as a GP or do an AEGD/GPR and then reapply for specialty programs. Your focus should always be on your education, not your classmates'. And yes, it is unfair that some people live with or date upperclassmen and have an abundance of resources the average student does not. However, all but 2 of the top 10 individuals in my class, myself included, have no access to additional resources and obviously are outperforming most of those who do, so I wouldn't dare trying to play that card if I were you.

Enjoy dental school. You're only young once.