Help-thinking of quitting residency altogether

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

daisy78

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 30 y/o internal medicine intern U.S. graduate who has already done a year of preliminary medicine with original plans to do anesthesiology. I found out I was ranked high enough to match in anesthesia at the same program where I did medical school. However, since my husband was going to be a G.I. fellow in another state, I just did prelimnary medicine hoping to get into the anesthesia program at his institution when we moved. After completing my prelim year, I ended up taking 2 years off to do research in anesthesia at the new place and got rejected twice, so I decided to go back to internal medicine instead of wasting any more time. Even though I have done 1 year of prelim medicine, I am having to do 6 months of internship before becoming a 2nd year , since I have been out for 2 years. I have forgotten so much and am having to play catch up and am really worried I won't be able to be a resident in a few months. Additionally, I don't really like patient care too much, which sucks when I've pretty much geared my whole education and life towards becoming a doctor.
So, I am contemplating quitting and starting a family. Is this bad?

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.