Help! What should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nothing101

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi
I was thinking about testing out of gen bio, gen chem and spanish by taking the CLEP exams. How do medical schools look at these exams? Should I take the classes instead? I don't want to waste a year when I know the materials and can test out. That way I can be in a higher level bio and chem class. Do most med schools accept clep?

Members don't see this ad.

Whether they do or they don't, your goal should be to get the highest GPA possible. If you think that you can do that by taking CLEP exams and qualifying for higher level bio and chem classes right out of the gate, then go for it but don't count on an "upward trend" later in your academic career to save your bacon if you crash and burn in the upper level classes taken as a freshman.

Reactions: 1 users
Don't take CLEP for upper science classes. Bad bad bad idea. I think the only think that would be acceptable is if AP opted you out of biology and you received credit for it. CLEP for language is cool, I mean why take a class on what you already know when you can save hundreds of dollars for that one Spanish classes. Go for it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Do not test out of classes that are pre-reqs like bio, you will regret it

Reactions: 1 user
Schools like to see grades for those classes, not testing out. Even if you take upper level classes. Not all schools will accept it and it will limit where you can apply. It is like taking pass/fail in regards to passing would show you know the material but they want to see an actual grade. The same goes for AP credit too. I had to waste my time taking an additional lit class because I tested out of English 1 through AP and some schools still wanted to see 2 actual letter grades rather than an "S"

Hi
I was thinking about testing out of gen bio, gen chem and spanish by taking the CLEP exams. How do medical schools look at these exams? Should I take the classes instead? I don't want to waste a year when I know the materials and can test out. That way I can be in a higher level bio and chem class. Do most med schools accept clep?
Take the tests and start on the upper-level courses, superstar. You'll have many spare credits to take courses in things you truly enjoy or find challenging. Speak with your pre-medical office about the whole CLEP for medical school thing.

Thanks for the replies!!

CLEP for language is cool, I mean why take a class on what you already know when you can save hundreds of dollars for that one Spanish classes. Go for it!

Isn't language a prerequisite?

Schools like to see grades for those classes, not testing out. Even if you take upper level classes. Not all schools will accept it and it will limit where you can apply. It is like taking pass/fail in regards to passing would show you know the material but they want to see an actual grade. The same goes for AP credit too. I had to waste my time taking an additional lit class because I tested out of English 1 through AP and some schools still wanted to see 2 actual letter grades rather than an "S"

Which SOMs will not accept higher level courses with labs instead?

Your best bet to answer questions like this is to by access from AAMC for MSAR (Medical School Admissions Requirements). If is not expensive when you think about the cost of applying to even one school. If the info saves you from making one bad application, it more than pays for itself.

Reactions: 1 users

Your best bet to answer questions like this is to by access from AAMC for MSAR (Medical School Admissions Requirements). If is not expensive when you think about the cost of applying to even one school. If the info saves you from making one bad application, it more than pays for itself.

I agree. I wasn't asking for myself. I'm already in med school. I was just curious because I've never heard of a med school that won't accept higher level courses. I believe that there are some undergrads that insist that you use your AP credits to "move on" to the next level. If that's true, then I find it hard to believe that there are med schools that won't let you use the higher level (with labs) science courses.

Hi
If you feel confident to score well then go for it. It's not worth it if your going to barely pass

Thanks for the replies!!

Isn't language a prerequisite?

A prereq for what? I don't know of any MD schools in the states that require a FL as a prereq. Your undergrad may require 2 semesters of a FL if you're not an eng'g major, but often undergrads will let you take the CLEP exams and get credits that way.