Help! When to apply if late transcripts/MCAT/etc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neonghost

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am on the quarter system and my spring quarter (good) grades won't be released until mid June. I am also not taking my MCAT untill mid June, getting it back mid July.

I really wanted to submit my application June 2, or whenever it opens, but then my newest grades won't go into my AAMC Gpa right? So should I submit my app then send transcripts? Or submit what I have and take the 0.03 GPA raise loss?

Also, should I apply to one school or several that don't screen? Because I already have a (not good) MCAT score and want to get started on secondaries?

Thank you!!!

Members don't see this ad.

This is your best case scenario IMO:

1) (what I would do): +0.03 GPA is insignificant. I would apply to one school that I'm not interested in on June 2 so my application gets verified quickly. Then, I would pre write secondaries while waiting on my MCAT score. When you get your MCAT score back (and are satisfied) in mid July, add all of the schools you want to apply to (it takes ~1 day for this). You won't be early, but you'll have a shot if you have a good score. If you don't like your score, don't add schools and you won't be considered a reapplicant at those schools the following year.

2) Or you can take a gap year if you feel applying early will really help.

So if I submit my application before sending transcripts, I won't even be added to the pool? They have to have my transcripts before beginning the verification process which takes forever as it is? Either way they won't review my application until my MCAT scores come back, so even the first secondaries I get I won't be able to submit until mid july.
Plus I don't know what schools to apply to without the MCAT scores...

Members don't see this ad :)
So if I submit my application before sending transcripts, I won't even be added to the pool? They have to have my transcripts before beginning the verification process which takes forever as it is? Either way they won't review my application until my MCAT scores come back, so even the first secondaries I get I won't be able to submit until mid july.
Plus I don't know what schools to apply to without the MCAT scores...

That's correct. The "verification" is of your grades (from your transcripts). Pick Mississippi as your 1 school as they don't look at OOS (unless you really are from MS).

So basically submit grades ASAP, verified ASAP, secondaries ASAP
???
Profit

Thanks guys!