Help! Where to start?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drake

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's going on everyone! :) I just registered and I'm new to this forum. It seems like this is the right place to find the solution to my problem, let's see if you can help me out...

I'm currently starting my 3rd year at a CC, and I need to choose a Bachelor's A.S.A.P! Problem is... I'm lost and I don't how or where to startmy OT career :confused:. Here's what I've come up with:

A)Get my Bachelor's in something I also love such as psychology, and then go into an OT Master's and eventually OT Doctorate program.

B) Or is it better to get my Bachelor's in OT and then go into an OT Master's and eventually OT Doctorate program?

-Thank you for taking the time to read this, and I would greatly appreciate any advice or motivation from you successful OT's out there! Peace! :xf:

Members don't see this ad.

From what I have heard from all the institutions I have spoken with as long as you have a bachelor's degree in something and have the completed pre-reqs with good grades you are just as good if you have a bachelors in OT. I think the only time a BS in OT would stand out is for someone who has already been practicing for years, not somone straigh out of undergrad who has not even had a chance to practice.

I know of one girl who had a degree in fashion interior merchandising, but she completely all her pre-reqs with As and was admitted. As long as you do well in your science courses, have a strong personal statement and letters of recommendation you are good! And for Texas schools San Anonio and Tech in lubbock do not require you to have a bachelors, just their pre-reqs, hope this helps.

Does anyone know of good places to work to get OT experience? I am currently waiting on hearing back from OT schools and taking more prereq courses but have from now until next Aug till I start and recommendations on what kind of part time job I should look for?

Members don't see this ad :)
I concur with javot10. I don't think it matters. I myself have been working in Advertising/Marketing for the past 4 years since I've graduated college with a BS in Advertising and am now taking my pre reqs for OT. From advisors I've spoken to and a couple of my friends (who are practicing OTs in California) they say it really doesn't matter. if you ask me, i'd go with the former rather than the latter.

What's going on everyone! :) I just registered and I'm new to this forum. It seems like this is the right place to find the solution to my problem, let's see if you can help me out...

I'm currently starting my 3rd year at a CC, and I need to choose a Bachelor's A.S.A.P! Problem is... I'm lost and I don't how or where to startmy OT career :confused:. Here's what I've come up with:

A)Get my Bachelor's in something I also love such as psychology, and then go into an OT Master's and eventually OT Doctorate program.

B) Or is it better to get my Bachelor's in OT and then go into an OT Master's and eventually OT Doctorate program?

-Thank you for taking the time to read this, and I would greatly appreciate any advice or motivation from you successful OT's out there! Peace! :xf:

First off there is no such thing a A Bachelors in OT, so the your only option is to go to a combined degree program if you dont have a bachelors yet or you can complete a bachelors and continue to a masters degree ot entry level doctorate program. check out the AOTA site for list of different types of OT schools

Yeah, there's no bachelor in OT anymore. Psychology is a very popular major for people who end up in Master's/Certification programs. That was my major and I ended up teaching special ed for over 10 years before applying to and OT master's program. They are looking more for what your experiences with the disabled have been, including how much volunteer or observation experience you have in various settings (outpatient rehab, skilled nursing, pediatric centers, etc). I would suggest volunteering or working parttime with developmentally disabled kids or adults (or a similar population that OTs often work with), if you have any interest in doing so. This will show adcoms that you have an interest in the people OT's end up working with. Don't worry about your undergrad degree too much, because people enter OT from all kinds of professions and backgrounds. I think acceptance into OT programs really depends on your maturity, how well you did in school (anything above a 3.0 is usually fine), and your prior experiences.