HELP! Which option (MSW/MS/postbac) for path to PhD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

simplybaroque

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long story short: I graduated with a bachelor's in economics and business, with no research experience (at least, not in science - I did business research). I want to get a master's degree before applying for PhD programs to 1) get more education in psychology, 2) squeeze in 1-2 years of research experience, 3) improve upon a lackluster undergrad GPA (3.0).

What kind of degree would be best for this? I'm debating the following:
  • Post-baccalaureate program (something like UC Berkeley's post-bac: http://psychology.berkeley.edu/post-bac/overview)
  • Master of Social Work (with a focus on clinical)
  • Master of Science in Psychology (or Clinical Psych, depending on where I get in)
I want to pursue a PhD in Clinical Psychology, hopefully with a focus on psychopathology and personality disorders.

I am so lost right now. Help? :(

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would get a license eligible clinical psych masters that has a thesis requirement

Just curious, why Clinical Psych masters vs a MSW, if both offer licensure and have thesis requirements?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to get into Ph.D. programs, I would recommend going to a research-heavy Master's as opposed to a clinical one that prepares for licensure. Research experience is going to be more valuable than clinical experience.
I wasn't aware there was a difference - I'm pretty clueless, haha! So I would be looking for a general M.S. in Psychology? or is this the M.S. in Experimental Psychology? Do you know of any examples of such a program (so I know what I'm searching for?)

Additionally, why not a post-bac, since it would help my undergraduate GPA and can also provide research opportunities (at least, in the case of programs like Berkeley and Columbia?) Not trying to poke holes in your advice, but I just want to understand the reasoning so I don't fudge up during my preparation :)

Last edited:
I think the post-bacc option is fine. I was mainly trying to discourage from going to a clinical-based Master's, as that will not help you as solid research experience will. Master's in experimental psychology or research-heavy Clinical Psyc Master's are ideal. There are some with explicit goals of preparing their students for doctoral study.

Awesome, thanks. I assume the PhD programs will look favorably upon the upward trajectory in GPA, regardless if it's earned in a post-bacc or a Master's? I've shaped up a lot more in the past few years - been taking a few non-degree seeking courses at my local state school and getting A's. Or should I go the post-bacc route so I can feed those grades into my undergrad GPA and bring it up vs. aiming for a 4.0 in my Master's?

If you go the Clinical Master's route, just make sure you're involved in research. Some schools liked that I was interviewing with 100+ client hours under my belt, and could relate my research to my clinical experiences.

Reactions: 1 user
I recommend the license eligible masters route in case you don't get into a PhD program. Even with a research heavy masters you'll still (most likely) be doing work you could do with a BS.

Go to a program that preps for license and allows you to complete a thesis. Take advantage of as many research opportunities as possible.

Reactions: 2 users
I second a research based MA program. Beefing up that aspect of your CV will help a lot with the PhD application process. In addition, if you are already going to spend money for the degree and potentially take out loans, you'll want to try to raise your chances of getting into a PhD program that won't cost as much in the long run---and research is the way to do that.

What if I'm currently working volunteer for a psych lab right now? Should I forgo additional classes if I already have a research opportunity, or will adcoms also look favorably upon proof that I can handle graduate-level classes?

Given the low GPA, either trying to raise it with post-bacc courses or proving yourself in a Master's program can only help.
But is one preferable to the other? Given the HUGE amount of classes I took in undergrad (I was a double major), the highest I could expect to bring it up would probably only be 0.2 points at most. Or I could bust my ass in a master's program and aim for 3.8+...

So I guess in concrete terms... If you were a PhD adcom, would you rather see the 3.2 undergrad GPA... or the 3.0 undergrad + 3.8 grad GPA?

Last edited:
Awesome. Thank you so much for fielding all my silly questions :)