HELP with background check

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PREMEDSTUDENT__

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I am a senior undergraduate pre med student. I will be applying to medical school in next year 2015 for the 2016 starting year. I don't know what my chances are anymore considering today I was issued a misdemeanor for petty theft. If I get this expunged, will they have any record of this? What questions do they ask and what background searches are performed? What do i do?!!! HELP.

Members don't see this ad.

If you just got the misdemeanor, I'm not too sure you'll be able to get it expunged. Not to mention, schools will ask you to report even expunged charges at times. Having one this recent is going to severely hinder you.

Reactions: 3 users
Gonna be harsh but honest here. I'd recommend possibly looking into a different career, or at the very least taking a few years off before applying. Theft is a huge red flag no matter when it happens, but it's a bit less of a hit if you do it as a dumb 18 year old vs. a 22 year old adult about to apply to one of the most conservative and demanding professions. I wouldn't waste the money on applying next cycle. You have to do a lot of damage control that can't be done overnight. I'm pretty sure you have to declare misdemeanors, even those that are expunged.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have two much more serious misdemeanors, 4 and 5 years ago, and have been invited for 3 interviews so far. I was also an addict that got sober, which i played up on that and changing my life. just know, it's possible!

Key point you raise is that your transgressions occurred some time ago. OP, only a prolonged period of exemplary behavior, combined with documented evidence of being in positions of responsibility might give you a chance with Adcoms who are believers in redemption. But as of right now, your medical career is in deep stasis, if not over.

I have two much more serious misdemeanors, 4 and 5 years ago, and have been invited for 3 interviews so far. I was also an addict that got sober, which i played up on that and changing my life. just know, it's possible!

Reactions: 2 users