Help with choosing a stethoscope: Cardiology IV vs. Master Cardiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SergeantBuzzKill

MS1
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should I buy the Cardiology IV or Master Cardiology Stethoscope? I know getting one stethoscope over the other will not suddenly allow me to hear sounds I couldn't before, but I do want any edge I can get. Online reviews claim that the master cardiology has better acoustics, and with only a $15 difference between the two, that seems like a good deal. Can anyone elaborate on the pros/cons of having a tunable diaphragm on both the bell and diaphragm sides (Cardiology IV) vs. a single tunable diaphragm (Master Cardiology)? I am not sure if one is better suited for a med student.

Members don't see this ad.

Should I buy the Cardiology IV or Master Cardiology Stethoscope? I know getting one stethoscope over the other will not suddenly allow me to hear sounds I couldn't before, but I do want any edge I can get. Online reviews claim that the master cardiology has better acoustics, and with only a $15 difference between the two, that seems like a good deal. Can anyone elaborate on the pros/cons of having a tunable diaphragm on both the bell and diaphragm sides (Cardiology IV) vs. a single tunable diaphragm (Master Cardiology)? I am not sure if one is better suited for a med student.

Get the master cardiology, it's what every cardiologist at my hospital has, and it's what I have. The acoustic difference between the two, however, is negligible. But the master is the 'cool' one to have, no doubt.

Source; I'm a peds RN

Reactions: 1 user
The cardiology stethoscopes are heavier and bulkier than others. I have a Classic, and can't hear any difference between it and the Cardiology series.

The lack of a bell on the Master Cardiology can also be an issue for standardized patient encounters in Step 2 CS and others, where you're expected to listen to certain heart sounds with both the diaphragm and bell.

Members don't see this ad :)
The cardiology stethoscopes are heavier and bulkier than others. I have a Classic, and can't hear any difference between it and the Cardiology series.

The lack of a bell on the Master Cardiology can also be an issue for standardized patient encounters in Step 2 CS and others, where you're expected to listen to certain heart sounds with both the diaphragm and bell.

Your bell is going to be when you apply less pressure. Diaphragm, firmer contact. It's pressure dependent, I've never had an issue w/ heart sounds and identifying barely audible murmurs.

Your bell is going to be when you apply less pressure. Diaphragm, firmer contact. It's pressure dependent, I've never had an issue w/ heart sounds and identifying barely audible murmurs.

Yes, but it requires you to audibly say to the patient "I'm listening with the bell" so that you get credit for it.

Reactions: 1 users
I have a master cardiology and a classic III. That will fix the problem.

Yes, but it requires you to audibly say to the patient "I'm listening with the bell" so that you get credit for it.

Or it requires your instructor to cut you some slack because you have a super cool stethoscope ;) kidding.

But in reality, I always explain what I'm doing to my patients anyways (out of habit) so it's never been an issue for me, wasn't a problem in nursing school either. I find my master cardiology feels better around my neck as well, and the psych patients can't get as good a hold on it (no bell) when they try to strangle with it ;)

I hear better with my classic lol

I have a classic 2 and it works perfectly. Light and simple. Don’t waste money on expensive stethoscopes until after Med school. Chances are, you’ll lose it.

Or it requires your instructor to cut you some slack because you have a super cool stethoscope ;) kidding.

But in reality, I always explain what I'm doing to my patients anyways (out of habit) so it's never been an issue for me, wasn't a problem in nursing school either. I find my master cardiology feels better around my neck as well, and the psych patients can't get as good a hold on it (no bell) when they try to strangle with it ;)

For COMLEX level 2 PE, you will not be allowed to test with the master cardiology. Just FYI. It's a standardized exam so it's not up to an instructor's personal decision.

For COMLEX level 2 PE, you will not be allowed to test with the master cardiology. Just FYI. It's a standardized exam so it's not up to an instructor's personal decision.
What about the cardiology IV? Or is the entire cardiology series not allowed?

What about the cardiology IV? Or is the entire cardiology series not allowed?

Cardiology IV should be fine! I used my cardiology III (previous version, the IV is updated but almost visually identical I think) without an issue.

I have a cardiology IV and a master cardiology. I switched FROM the master cardiology to the cardiology 4 for a few reasons:

First the tunable diaphragm is a bit of a pain in the ass and I like a classic bell. Second, on skinny/COPD patients or listening to many peoples' carotids you can't get great purchace on the skin because the head of the master cardiology is too big whch means that bell portion of the tunable diaphragm becomes useless. I felt the acoustics were a little better on the cardiology IV so if anything, there isn't much of a difference. Lastly, as others have said you need a dual headed stethescope for multiple things in school. My vote is cardiology IV over master cardiology. I am a cardiologist.

So I actually asked about stethoscopes extensively....I was between the classic III and the cardio IV, and basically everyone said to go with the classic III because as a lowly med student, we won't be able to pick up on the differences the cardio IV allows for anyways, and it's like $90 more expensive. Most people said that you'll likely lose your steth somewhere along the way and it's better to go cheaper now, and more expensive later.

I have a gold master cardiology I wear for every patient encounter. The swag my chain brings me walking in more than makes up for the lost points for not switching to the bell.

You could also call the school you're going to attend and ask if they provide one in any way, shape, or form. I know a lot of schools provide them either through the med kit you purchase anyway (thus why buy 2?), some gift them through alumni funds, some schools receive them as gifts from outside sources (I think in PA, POMA gifts them to med students) - nevertheless you may not even have to buy one, so call and ask.

I use a Littman Classic 3 and it works fine. But if I was going to buy a new expensive one I would get one of those electronic ones. You can hear REALLY well.