help with deciding: UC Davis vs Pitt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AspiringCommunityDoc

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
(let me know if I should post this elsewhere)

Feel extremely lucky that I get to have a choice! I’ve been going back and forth so interested to hear feedback. Also interested to hear if I missed anything or if my pros/cons are off from what you’ve heard/know.

UC Davis:
Pros - close to support system, in-state tuition, opportunities for urban & rural clinical experiences
Cons - research opportunities on my own time, smaller medical system

Pitt:
Pros - higher ranking in research (I don’t really care about this for prestige reasons but I know it’s partially due to how much NIH funding they have which is a sign of cool opportunities), mandatory research project as part of curriculum + research mentoring, big medical system
Cons - far from support system, higher tuition ($20k more per year), relocation costs

Pros for both: P/F pre-clinical, good support for Family Medicine career, plenty of community engagement opportunities

Members don't see this ad.

UC Davis, full stop. The difference in ranking really won't provide that much extra value to your career, and UC Davis will have plenty of research opportunities for you, don't worry. It is definitely not worth the extra money, being away from home, and the crappy weather.

You will soon realize just how difficult and exhausting medical school can be. The people who come out on top and have fulfilling careers are the ones who work hard, love what they do, and take advantage of the opportunities they have regardless of the name of their school. There are plenty of med students who do this, and plenty who don't.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
UC Davis, full stop. The difference in ranking really won't provide that much extra value to your career, and UC Davis will have plenty of research opportunities for you, don't worry. It is definitely not worth the extra money, being away from home, and the crappy weather.

You will soon realize just how difficult and exhausting medical school can be. The people who come out on top and have fulfilling careers are the ones who work hard, love what they do, and take advantage of the opportunities they have regardless of the name of their school. There are plenty of med students who do this, and plenty who don't.
Thank you, this is really amazing advice! I think my anxiety made me worried that there was some glaring big thing I was missing (either a red flag for Davis or a big plus for Pitt). Both sound like amazing programs so your answer feels validating to hear. Thanks again!