Help with Personal statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DATkilla

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this question may have been discussed in another thread. But, please someone comment on what information they included in their personal statement, or if anyone has a format to writing the personal statement. This would be very helpful to me.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd make sure its on a personal level. Don't write about anything cliche like "I want to help the world". Relate it to your personal life and what, if anything drove you to wanting to be a dentist. I have a unique circumstance that I am writing about, and you should also have a reason as to why you want to be dealing with teeth. did you ever experience something that drove you to this? What is important to you? Get PERSONAL in this letter, it reflects on your desires and helps you stand out from the other "sheep".
As for format, there really isn't one that's necessary, but a good Idea would be to have an introduction, a body (perhaps a couple paragraphs) and a conclusion.

From AADSAS:

Your Personal Statement should address why you desire to pursue a dental education and how a dental degree contributes to your personal and professional goals.

You are encouraged to compose your statement in a text-only word processor (e.g., Notepad), review your statement for errors, then cut and paste the final version into the text box above. Click the Save button and return to the Personal Statement to review the formatting of your text. You are limited to approximately 1 page (4500 characters, including spaces).

Some formatting characters used in programs like Word (angled quotes, accents, special characters) will not display properly. Carefully review your final text and to make the necessary corrections to the format.

Members don't see this ad :)
I started off with a story about me as a baby and turned it into a "why I think this field works for me" type thing, and added things ive done and seen along the way to support my statements.

Manyak222 said:
I'd make sure its on a personal level. Don't write about anything cliche like "I want to help the world". Relate it to your personal life and what, if anything drove you to wanting to be a dentist. I have a unique circumstance that I am writing about, and you should also have a reason as to why you want to be dealing with teeth. did you ever experience something that drove you to this? What is important to you? Get PERSONAL in this letter, it reflects on your desires and helps you stand out from the other "sheep".
As for format, there really isn't one that's necessary, but a good Idea would be to have an introduction, a body (perhaps a couple paragraphs) and a conclusion.

the MCAT didn't turn out like you wanted? ;)

sgdorfl90 said:
the MCAT didn't turn out like you wanted? ;)

My MCAT score came out ok, actually. I just didnt want to go to med school after talking to so many doctors and medical school teachers. Who is this?

It's a joke. You must be new to pre-dent. Good luck.