Help with rank list, please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Esmolol

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have been very fortunate to get interviews at a lot of good programs. I am struggling though with ranking the following ones:

Cedars-Sinai
UC Davis
USC
UCI
Loma Linda
U Colorado
OHSU

They are listed in no particular order. As of now, after graduation I would like to do 1-2 fellowships (cardiac+peds, or cardiac+liver, crit care+cardiac or other combos). I am sure it may change in the future but I need to make a rank list based on today's info. The plan at the end would be to practice in SoCal. I have not listed all programs I have interviewed at, I know how I am going to rank those. The listed ones are what gives me trouble.

I saw threads about topics similar to my question but they were a little outdated.

Any input would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Choose based on location, those programs will all train you relatively well

Reactions: 1 users
Hello,

I have been very fortunate to get interviews at a lot of good programs. I am struggling though with ranking the following ones:

Cedars-Sinai
UC Davis
USC
UCI
Loma Linda
U Colorado
OHSU

They are listed in no particular order. As of now, after graduation I would like to do 1-2 fellowships (cardiac+peds, or cardiac+liver, crit care+cardiac or other combos). I am sure it may change in the future but I need to make a rank list based on today's info. The plan at the end would be to practice in SoCal. I have not listed all programs I have interviewed at, I know how I am going to rank those. The listed ones are what gives me trouble.

I saw threads about topics similar to my question but they were a little outdated.

Any input would be appreciated!
My input, stick to one fellowship. There's absolutely no reason to consider a cardiac + liver fellowship.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Choose based on location, those programs will all train you relatively well
What about job outlooks afterward? Do some of these programs set you up better than the others?

What about job outlooks afterward? Do some of these programs set you up better than the others?
If you have any strong reasons to be in a certain location, then choose the residency where that location is. That's how you'll have the highest chance of staying in that area. I will say, plans often change, and you want to make yourself the most competitive applicant out there so you can get a job anywhere. I will also say right now the job market is so good that you essentially need a pulse and you'd be able to get a job anywhere. So again circle back to the beginning, where you should choose the residency program where you want to physically be. Those programs are all fine.

Reactions: 1 user
When I interviewed for fellowship in 2019-20 USC was still using paper charts, with no plans to change that anytime soon (ORs note wired for it or something). The thought of doing a double lung transplant with paper charting seemed like an extra level of unnecessary torture. I ranked them dead last on those grounds alone.

When I interviewed for fellowship in 2019-20 USC was still using paper charts, with no plans to change that anytime soon (ORs note wired for it or something). The thought of doing a double lung transplant with paper charting seemed like an extra level of unnecessary torture. I ranked them dead last on those grounds alone.
What.The.Acutal.(...) Thanks for that info.

I used paper charting until June of CA-3 year, including for those double lung txps. When you're used to it, it's not as big of an ordeal as it seems, but I definitely never want to go back. EPIC for life.

Reactions: 2 users
Bumping this up as the ROL is due soon...

Any input to the order being Cedars > UCD > UCI > USC?

Either one is fine with a slight preference towards SoCal.

Either one is fine with a slight preference towards SoCal.
To an outsider all of those programs seem equally as qualified to make you an anesthesiologist. Comes down to where you want to live.

Threes are all the same tier. I personally I would do OHSU or the UC’s but that’s just me

here’s the reality: best coastal Southern California jobs are a reach from any of those programs... they just don’t hire much outside of UCSD, UCLA, or major name brand east coast programs.

Training at USC at least keeps you geographically close, and you’ll have a much higher chance of hearing about something good by being nearby. Don’t bother with Cedars.

Of the programs you listed, my sense is that OHSU produces the best anesthesiologists.

USC not the strongest but they produce so many residents you'll be able to network enough to find a job in so cal. they arent doing paper charts anymore from what i heard.

Stanford > UCLA

Training will be strong at both. Easy to get good socal jobs from either one. National reputation probably slightly better for Stanford. Both have strong cardiac programs.

It seems like you have enough personal factors that would tip the balance in favor of LA. At a certain point you need to do what is right for you and your family and not just go to a big name program so your mom can be proud.

You could always go to the other program for cardiac fellowship if you have buyer’s remorse and/or really want Stanford on your CV.

Stanford > UCLA

Training will be strong at both. Easy to get good socal jobs from either one. National reputation probably slightly better for Stanford. Both have strong cardiac programs.

It seems like you have enough personal factors that would tip the balance in favor of LA. At a certain point you need to do what is right for you and your family and not just go to a big name program so your mom can be proud.

You could always go to the other program for cardiac fellowship if you have buyer’s remorse and/or really want Stanford on your CV.

Did I miss where s/he said he had an interview at either of these places?

Threes are all the same tier. I personally I would do OHSU or the UC’s but that’s just me
Unless you have family/SO nearby, working as a resident in LA don't let you take full advantage of what it has to offer. The traffic is pretty bad most of the time. After work, you are most likely to stick around where you live: Westwood, downtown, etc. Driving anywhere else is like 1h+. I would pick the best place to train, which I agree with OHSU (outside of 3 or 4 places in CA IMO), maybe even Colorado. Go to UCLA or UCSD to get an inside track to their fellowships. Finally, it sounds like the chance to work at Cedar is better than ever.