Help with school list? CA Resident.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drRNA

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
  • CA: UCSF, UCLA, UCSD, UCD, UCI, USC
  • Case
  • Boston U
  • OSU
  • Albert Einstein
  • Miami
  • Georgetown
  • Tufts
  • Temple
  • MCW
  • Drexel
  • SLU
  • NYMC
  • Penn State
  • West Virginia University

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Suggest adding:

Emory
Duke
Rochester
Hofstra
Pitt
BU
Keck
Columbia
U Miami
Jefferson
U VM

Hey all, I'm new to the forum and was hoping to get some advice on creating a tentative school list. I'm a CA resident and ORM so creating an appropriate list didn't seem as straightforward to me haha. Currently in my 1st of 2 gap years as a lab tech, and applying next cycle.

cGPA/sGPA: 3.57/3.56 (upward trend, 4.0 last 2 yrs)
MCAT: 518
top 20 UG
ORM, CA Resident
Research: >2000 hrs of basic science, 3 different labs. 1 poster, 1 middle-author
Clinical volunteering: will have ~100 hrs of hospital volunteering
Shadowing: ~40-50 hrs in orthopedics, gen. surgery, anesthesia
Other ECs: on-campus leadership position, biochem tutor, student-org class instructor
Honors: graduated with major honors
Good LORs.

Here's my prospective school list so far:
  • CA: UCSF, UCLA, UCSD, UCD, UCI, USC
  • Case
  • Boston U
  • OSU
  • Albert Einstein
  • Miami
  • Georgetown
  • Tufts
  • Temple
  • MCW
  • Drexel
  • SLU
  • NYMC
  • Penn State
  • West Virginia University
I was thinking of throwing in some more reaches and 'safeties', but not sure which ones would fit cause of my low GPA. I also realize I need to be applying to a lot more schools.

I'd really appreciate any help I can get, greatly prefer research-heavy schools. Thanks in advance!

Seems like you are in love with research. Are you sure you want to be an MD? I think you'd be better off with PhD or MD-PhD (which I think it kind of a waste of time since you may end up picking either practicing medicine or research down the line).

MD/PhD is only a pipe dream for me since my GPA is too low for the programs I'm interested in.

Last edited: