Help with School list for newbie :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WannaBeDoctorDad

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm pretty new to this forum and would like some input on my MD (will apply DO as well but not working on that list yet) school list. I'm 32, military service member (6 years in next year), w/family. Stats: 3.5 overall GPA, science a little above. 2 years research experience, shadowing physician now. Have not taken the MCAT but will be in July after Kaplan course (without any studying got average score on assessment). Any must schools to apply too?
Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Buy the MSAR and use it. You will be able to develop a good and focused list. It’s impossible to determine your chances without the MCAT score but you can at least pick out some schools you might be interested in when you get your scores. Don’t spend time on public schools except your own state schools. You might also spend time looking at DO schools too!

Reactions: 1 user
Without an MCAT score it is impossible to say what schools you should have on your list. Your score will change a lot from your original base score (at least it should be much higher by the time your done studying).

The only must apply schools are your state schools for the state you are a resident of.

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely recommend the MSAR. You don't have to rule out all other public schools, but make sure to check their percentages of interviewed and matriculated OOS students before applying. For example, Ohio State is relatively friendly to non-residents while the University of Mississippi didn't interview any last year.

Hi all, I'm pretty new to this forum and would like some input on my MD (will apply DO as well but not working on that list yet) school list. I'm 32, military service member (6 years in next year), w/family. Stats: 3.5 overall GPA, science a little above. 2 years research experience, shadowing physician now. Have not taken the MCAT but will be in July after Kaplan course (without any studying got average score on assessment). Any must schools to apply too?
Thanks in advance!
First off, many thanks for your service to our country!

Your stats are fine and your state schools should be #1 on your list. Come back with an MCAT score and then we can advise on list