Help with School List Please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

realitysickness

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am a female ORM in California whose dream is to attend a Californian MD school. However, I want to be realistic, and also apply to out of state schools that take a good percentage of out of staters. I just got my MCAT score back today so I need to update my school list, and I am looking for help - do you guys have any non-CA schools you recommend I apply to given my stats below:

1st time applying, 1st MCAT: 508, 2nd MCAT: 517, GPA: 3.8; rest of application is average; I don't have ties to any state except California

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

What are your EC's ? Do you have any physician shadowing or clinical volunteering hours ?

Hi,

Some more info - I am a nontraditional applicant (2 years out of college).

I have physician shadowing (Health Care Ethics internship in my senior year of college) and paid clinical experience working full-time as a clinical research associate (current employment). I have a modest amount of clinical volunteering as well (hospice, refugee clinic, & cancer support group). Less non-clinical volunteering than average (tutoring student with autism for a few years). Significant research experience (human subjects, clinical trials, and social epidemiology - public health).

I co-authored 4 conference abstracts (I was selected as an oral presenter for 1); I have 2 publications (1 social epi paper (first author); 1 solicited review (2nd author)).

I will only be applying MD, and I would greatly appreciate your guidance in identifying which out of state schools to apply to. I plan to submit my primary application for verification by the end of this week (was waiting on MCAT score).

Thank you so much!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest these OOS MD schools with your stats:
Boston University
Tufts
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Hofstra
Einstein
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Georgetown
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Miami
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane

Reactions: 1 user
I suggest these OOS MD schools with your stats:
Boston University
Tufts
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Hofstra
Einstein
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Georgetown
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Miami
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane

Thank you so much Faha! I edited my previous post with some more info just a few moments ago. If you don't mind taking another look, and letting me know if you still stand by these schools, I would be very grateful! Thank you!

No change but apply to all your CA schools also including California University (new school).

Thank you so much Faha! Yes, I plan to apply to all CA schools save for Loma Linda, and will also apply to the aforementioned OOS schools you recommended.

Again, very grateful for your input!