Help with signing up for Step 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skk3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be graduating from medical school in 2 weeks and I'm planning on taking Step 3 before or right when I enter intern year. The sign up process is a bit confusing and I'm hoping to get your input and advice.

1) I've been told to sign up through Connecticut to bypass the requirements. I want to confirm that if I do this, I can still take the test in any prometric center around the country. Also, I want to make sure that it is OK to sign up through Connecticut despite the fact that my medical school, intern, and categorical years are all NOT in connecticut

2) For the Confirmation of ID sheet, it requires a notorized signature. Can I get it from any state even if signing up through Connecticut? (I live in NJ)

3) Other than the CID and the online application, anything else I need to send in?

4) Can I sign up now, 2 weeks before my graduation or should I wait till graduation? I was told that the application takes a bit of time to process...

5) As for the "eligibility period" i was told that I cannot choose a period (like step 1 and 2) and that a 3 month window will be assigned for me when I register. If I were to sign up today, approximately when would my 3 month window be?

Thanks for your advice!

Members don't see this ad.