Help with Speed on VR of MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Topper Harley

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
im having trouble with my speed on the VR section of the mcat.

I take on ave. 11 - 12 min per passage.
my goal is to be at 9 min per passage.

does anyone have any suggestions?

~Topper

Members don't see this ad.

Topper Harley said:
im having trouble with my speed on the VR section of the mcat.

I take on ave. 11 - 12 min per passage.
my goal is to be at 9 min per passage.

does anyone have any suggestions?

~Topper

Is ure last name Topper?

I would suggest slowing down when you read the passage so that you can get a better grip on the main point. With that, you can answer the questions with fewer incidences of returning to the passage, and proceed more quickly through the entire set. :luck:

do you find that you at least are able to read some passages quicker than others and get all the questions right?

just a caution, don't try to push yourself to read faster than what you are comfortable with because if you focus too much on trying to shave off time and speed read you are going to sacrifice getting answers right in order to save some time. 10-11 minutes on a hard passage is fine and you can make up time with the really easy passages on the verbal.

anyway i would just keep practicing the verbal and you should get better with it as you go along and you see the same types of questions being asked over and over again.

Members don't see this ad :)
Topper Harley, gotta love the name. Hot shots is the bomb. About your original question, practice reading efficiently (not necessarily super fast) so you can get maximum information out of the reading in a reasonable amount of time. Then look at the questions and answer them in order. If you're not sure, just make your best guess and move on. Most people usually won't have extra time left over on VR, so don't plan on going back to check your answers.

MrTee said:
Topper Harley, gotta love the name. Hot shots is the bomb. About your original question, practice reading efficiently (not necessarily super fast) so you can get maximum information out of the reading in a reasonable amount of time. Then look at the questions and answer them in order. If you're not sure, just make your best guess and move on. Most people usually won't have extra time left over on VR, so don't plan on going back to check your answers.

This is what I do and I get 10-11s on the practice tests I've written.

Read the first paragraph, every topic sentence and the last paragraph.
Then spend most of your time witht the questions. They are NOT detail based so knowing all the crap in the passage is of little to no use.
Try it and I hope it works for you!!

Luck!!

Thanks guys, the replys have been very helpful!

and yes "Topper" is from the movie hot shots!