Help with unmatched ortho - DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ice_trae

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Unfortunately didn't match this year, would love some help in what my best path is moving forward. My board scores were pretty solid: Step I/II 262, 263, COMLEX was 760, 725. I had 7 DO interviews and one MD. I felt pretty confident going into the match, but its just a competitive field I guess.

I applied to a research fellowship at a big name institution and was pretty happy to get it, and I'm trying to figure out between two options moving forward. I can either spend one or two years here. With only one year I wouldn't have much to show for this fellowship as the application is due in September, and I don't really know whats going to happen with some of the DO programs regarding their accreditation status. With two I'd have a whole extra year of publications under my belt but I'd be another year away from graduation. The attending I'm working with seems to be fairly influential and hes gotten previous research fellows matched by making calls to other programs on their behalf, both IMGs and US grads.

I'm not sure how to weigh these two against each other, if anyone has insight they could share I'd love to hear it.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

Unfortunately didn't match this year, would love some help in what my best path is moving forward. My board scores were pretty solid: Step I/II 262, 263, COMLEX was 760, 725. I had 7 DO interviews and one MD. I felt pretty confident going into the match, but its just a competitive field I guess.

I applied to a research fellowship at a big name institution and was pretty happy to get it, and I'm trying to figure out between two options moving forward. I can either spend one or two years here. With only one year I wouldn't have much to show for this fellowship as the application is due in September, and I don't really know whats going to happen with some of the DO programs regarding their accreditation status. With two I'd have a whole extra year of publications under my belt but I'd be another year away from graduation. The attending I'm working with seems to be fairly influential and hes gotten previous research fellows matched by making calls to other programs on their behalf, both IMGs and US grads.

I'm not sure how to weigh these two against each other, if anyone has insight they could share I'd love to hear it.

I don't have much insight into Ortho programs, but I hope things work out for you. Stay strong friend.

Hi everyone,

I think people usually apply again after the first year from what I’ve seen. My school has one of these research fellowship programs so we get a lot of IMGs, FMGs, and post-MS3 gap year students. You can always return to the lab if you don’t match again.

I’d be more worried about what caused you not to match in the first place. Those are some strong numbers that you didn’t match into AOA spots with.

I agree with Bonejorno you have nice solid numbers. It can startling when you don’t match. Inbox me I wanna help if I can