help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drlongwood

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am trying to find out the usual work schedule for an E.R. doc(if there is any). i know they work 10-12 hrs day and get 4 days off, but what are the chances of them not working weekends? how does that work? is it by seniority between all the docs in the E.R. dept? thanks for the help in advance

Members don't see this ad.

It all depends on the practice you join, but everyone is going to have to work some weekends at some point in their schedule. I think where I am going, we work 1 out of every 3 weekends, but I'm not sure yet.

Q

drlongwood said:
i am trying to find out the usual work schedule for an E.R. doc(if there is any). i know they work 10-12 hrs day and get 4 days off, but what are the chances of them not working weekends? how does that work? is it by seniority between all the docs in the E.R. dept? thanks for the help in advance

There is no standard schedule. You choose the job that has the working conditions, group structure and money that you like.

Specifically shifts come as 6 8, 9, 10, 12 and even 24 hours. Set the number of shifts and hours according to how much you want to work. Overdo it and you'llburn out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow- there are 24 hour shifts in EM? That is pretty scary. I always think of air traffic controllers- damn would I want to be the patient on someone 24th hour. I know it is even worse for surgery.

places that have 24 hour shifts have low enough volumes that the physician usually gets a rest/break/nap but there are occasions that they are go go go the whole entire shift.