Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mysmile

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question. I recently, (Jan 29) retook the DAT and raised my score from a 17/17 to a 20/20. I have contacted all of the schools that I have applied to and interviewed with, and they all have copies of my scores. They have all been optimistic, but no news yet. If I do not hear anything in a couple of weeks should I contact these schools again, or just wait?
This waiting is horrible!!!

Members don't see this ad.

First, congratulations with your improvement on your DAT. Unfortunately I am confused about your situation!??? What I understand is----You applied and interviewed at several schools but after that I'm lost. Why did you re-take the DAT? Did you receive rejection letters and find out the only reason was due to your DAT score? Or--- have you not heard from the schools yet and decided yourself that it must be the DAT score? I realize that 17/17 is not extremely competetive but admission's look at several different components of your application such as: leadership activities, honors, overall and science GPA, research, and recommendations, and more... If the DAT is the only problem in your app. then I believe you have succeeded in closing that chapter. (of course if you are only applying to top schools like UCSF, Harvard, Columbia, Minnesota, Ucla, U Iowa, U Penn, U Mich, U Wash, etc......No specific order.... You may need high DAT scores and more!) Post more info and I'm sure someone (or myself) will try to help.

[This message has been edited by Dr.2b (edited 02-03-2001).]

I am sorry it has taken so long to reply, but I am in the middle of midterms in my graduate program. I was "told" that all that was holding me back was my DAT. I interviewed in October (in 1st 15 interviewed at my 1st choice) and was unable to study and confidently take the DAT until January due to finals and the holidays. I stressed for I havent heard anything from any of the schools I talked to yet. I guess I have 2 questions, what are my chances of getting in now and if I dont hear anything soon how can I go about finding out my status from these schools.
My undergrad GPA was approx. 3.27, and I currently have a 3.56 in my masters program. I have had lots of experience as a dental assistant (part-time) and observation with other dentists. Also I am not appling to the top schools listed above, but rather ones that listed their mean DAT at a 16-17. Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

------------------

In my opinion---
You have corrected the part of your application that "they" felt needed improvement. To be honest, you are most likely the victim of the clock. A lot of schools have accepted a majority of their applicants and most likely have accepted more people than they have seats (a common practice). Unfortunately, you are a good candidate for acceptance----but might be waitlisted due to timing. Another concern is that you are presently in grad. school. You have a wonderful gpa---yet, in my experience med. and dental schools are reluctant to pull people out of grad school. (they like to see people finish what they started---makes sense.)

As far as finding out where you stand---don't be bashful. If the school is close show up in person (a face to the name---a plus!!!) and ask to meet with the Admission's coordinator. Be polite etc....and positive yet have an agenda to find out your status. (You can call too). But get to know this person----learn their name etc... be confident without arrogance. My friend called every friday and stopped by every now and then-----everyone got to know him and it is harder to reject those they know. He was accepted a year later and the Admiss. people wrote a personal letter to him saying they are going to be missing his calls every friday! Whether it helps or not you don't know their influence-- rather be safe than sorry, right! (Start with the school that told you it was your DAT score holding you back---because you have successfully solved this.) Overall be persistent!!!

Mysmile from what you have told me---you seem to be a good candidate. Like I said before-- it is more that gpa and DAT----but you know what they have been telling you--I don't. The 20/20 is an incredibly competitive score and your undergrad. gpa is not bad either----so if things don't happen this year (I know you don't want to hear this) you have the ability to apply extremely early (June 1), which I think will make all the difference!

Post some of the schools you are applying to----because you never know who is on-line and they might have some good contacts.

Well, stay confident---there is still time.
Dr.2b