Help! :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

daveshaft

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys i just took my DATs but i was in no way prepared im overloaded with stuff

i got a 16 on org chem and bio, 14 on gen chem a 19 on reading comprehension and a 13 on the PAT part
im planning on taking them again in sept/october and im taking the kaplan summer course this time around, i have a 3.7 GPA, great recommendations, a lot of experience, a lot of activities and I'm filling out my AADAS application now

honestly do I have a chance this cycle or not? do u think i will at least get into BU, UCONN, Tufts or NYU those are my top

Members don't see this ad.

daveshaft said:
hey guys i just took my DATs but i was in no way prepared im overloaded with stuff

i got a 16 on org chem and bio, 14 on gen chem a 19 on reading comprehension and a 13 on the PAT part
im planning on taking them again in sept/october and im taking the kaplan summer course this time around, i have a 3.7 GPA, great recommendations, a lot of experience, a lot of activities and I'm filling out my AADAS application now

honestly do I have a chance this cycle or not? do u think i will at least get into BU, UCONN, Tufts or NYU those are my top

that's too bad about your scores. your gpa is good, so i would try and get a DAT score to match. i think you would have a hard time getting into just about every school, but don't give up. send in your applications and let all the schools know that you're preparing to take it again. but this time REALLY prep for it and get 19's and 20's. i think the schools will like that.

Sounds like a Uconn Student. As we all know, your DAT can make up for your GPA but not the opposite. So honestly I am afraid they might see your situation abit suspecious, one because you did not give the DAT as much importance as you should have bc of your high GPA. Two, you are just starting you application now. So carelessness if clear in your case, but I am not saying it is so; please do not get offended as I am only judging what is apparent from the things provided. But what you should do, I think, is submit your application asap, and take the DAT again. Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
with that type of score, you obviously have to retake it. You'll be retaking it in 3 months, so the next time you can take it is October. Just get 20s on the exam next time and make sure you have your AADSAS submitted far in advance. If everything goes well, your application will be complete by October. Make sure you contact the schools you're applying to and tell them that you're planning on retaking the DAT's (or they'll just flat out reject you). You still have a chance. If your application is complete in October, expect late December to February interviews

daveshaft said:

You have a good chance. On your application, it asks you to list future DAT retakes so you should probably fill in that portion with the appropriate info. Unfortunately, even if your application is submitted and sent off to the schools, the schools will set your application aside until they receive your latest scores. Chances are you will miss most if not all of the first round admission interviews. Given your stats, you will definitely get interviews(assuming you do better this DAT go round) for rolling admissions especially for schools like BU and NYU. If you get interviews, again given your stats, I'd be surprised if you don't get in this admission cycle IMO.
Good Luck

you have 3 months to really study and get that DAT score up. I don't know if dental schools just look at the latest score, or they take the old scores into consideration, but considering how poorly you did on the first try, you really need to score high to balance out the low scores. Think 20, and work your butt off to get to that goal.

Also, NYU accepts students without interviews, and if you can get a competitive enough of a score, there's still a chance you can see an acceptance letter on December 1st. My application was complete last year at the end of October (late AADSAS submission) but I still received my 1st round NYU acceptance without interview.
Good luck, and work hard!