Helpful purchases before med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UofMinnAspirations

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering a list of helpful things (new laptops-mac or pc or tablet, books, etc) for med school that you wish you would have gotten before entering med school. I'm thinking of a purchasing a mac book but just wanted to hear other students opinion on this.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

1. A good, portable computer that you are comfortable using. There are threads in allo that debate the merits of certain models.

2. An iPad for essential anatomy, Netflix, and kindle

3. A second monitor for your desk

4. An anatomy atlas and accompanying flash cards

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
1. A good, portable computer that you are comfortable using. There are threads in allo that debate the merits of certain models.

2. An iPad for essential anatomy, Netflix, and kindle

3. A second monitor for your desk

4. An anatomy atlas and accompanying flash cards
is the ipad necessary?

is the ipad necessary?
There's a really helpful app called "essential anatomy" that occasionally goes on sale for like $2. Definitely saved me in the earlier days of anatomy.

Ah, I see. Well I have a macbook, and it seems like a lot of med students do as well. They could always get the app that way.

Ive been looking for reasons to justify getting an iPad lol. Some people love them but I can honestly say that I have not found any reason for purchasing one.

Reactions: 1 user
What '4)' would you recommend, and why '3)'? I'd love an excuse for a second 27 inch monitor, but why?

A Crockpot. I'm serious. Also I recommend investing in a smart notecard app. I personally prefer Anki.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What '4)' would you recommend, and why '3)'? I'd love an excuse for a second 27 inch monitor, but why?
I personally prefer the Thieme/Gilroy atlas. Also helped having the Rohen photo atlas.

You need to buy a really nice pair of joggers so you can get that pajama-like comfort in your morning classes without looking like a slob.

Reactions: 7 users
I second 1 and 2 - my mac/iPad combo has been invaluable throughout school so far. I think 3/4 are probably optional; haven't used either myself. A lot depends on how you learn and what your school has available for your use.

A Crockpot. I'm serious. Also I recommend investing in a smart notecard app. I personally prefer Anki.

lol...I was also going to say a crockpot. Seriously. My mom gave me some "few ingredient crockpot recipes" and we throw the stuff in, turn it on, and dinner is ready when we come home. We can even put ingredients together in a large baggie at night, fridge it overnight, then throw in crockpot the next morning, etc.

Last edited:
lol...I was also going to say a crockpot. Seriously. My mom gave me a few "few ingredient crockpot recipes" and we throw the stuff in, turn it on, and dinner is ready when we come home. We can even put ingredients together in a large baggie at night, fridge it overnight, then throw in crockpot the next morning, etc.
Plus freeze the leftovers! Such an economical option.

I have heard from the docs I work with you want a nice cell phone with internet for rotations and ipads are valuable for school & rotations so it will be one of the things I splurge on if accepted. Also, I heard apple laptops are good when I interviewed but I think it all depends on the costs but you definitely want a laptop that is quick and works well & I have also heard to wait to buy your books till you see which ones you will need and to see if you can buy them from someone for cheaper. I heard an anatomy atlas is a must

You need to buy a really nice pair of joggers so you can get that pajama-like comfort in your morning classes without looking like a slob.
This. And Levi's started making stretchy denim jeans for men. Never going back to real pants

Edit: I also have a Samsung Note5, which has a ginormous screen. It's 5.7" (ipad mini is 7.9"), so it's a good option if you dont want to buy an ipad

Why is everyone suggesting apple products? Is there something wrong with a cheaper PC?

Reactions: 2 users
My student host recommended investing in some nice work clothes! She ended up needing to buy a few pairs of dress pants, nice shoes and tops to wear for student panels, shadowing, etc. that she hadn't thought of before matriculating.

I already used the "possibility" of starting med school next year as an excuse to buy myself the ipad pro :oops:

Reactions: 3 users
When I did med school, they made you buy a laptop from them and you got atlases free when you joined certain medical organizations so I don't know if it makes sense to buy these early. Crock pot and smart phone are good ideas though.

When I did med school, they made you buy a laptop from them and you got atlases free when you joined certain medical organizations so I don't know if it makes sense to buy these early. Crock pot and smart phone are good ideas though.
This. The school I will be matriculating at and at least one other school I interviewed at have laptop programs for their students, which means the school provides the computer (or you buy it through the school). Don't go and buy a new laptop only to find out that you have to pay for another one.

Reactions: 3 users
This. The school I will be matriculating at and at least one other school I interviewed at have laptop programs for their students, which means the school provides the computer (or you buy it through the school). Don't go and buy a new laptop only to find out that you have to pay for another one.
Agreed. My school doesn't do this but other schools I was accepted to/interviewed at do.

Also, in general you might end up with access to all of these resources so I wouldn't rush out for anything. The only thing to consider in advance is the laptop. For that, I'd consider if you want a touchscreen or not. I find touchscreen/stylus combo great for taking notes but other people are good with the macbook airs/pros.

This. And Levi's started making stretchy denim jeans for men. Never going back to real pants

Edit: I also have a Samsung Note5, which has a ginormous screen. It's 5.7" (ipad mini is 7.9"), so it's a good option if you dont want to buy an ipad

I'll keep my dignity, thanks though.

yup one school I interviewed at gives you an ipad so I wouldn't buy one until you hear back from everwhere

Jefferson gives its students iPads (Maybe we technically buy them with our tuition?), which they are required to use for taking all exams. Not sure if we are allowed to use them for entertainment purposes...guess that depends on whether they're school property or ours to keep. In any case I'm holding off on upgrading my tablet until Im 100% sure of where I'll be matriculating. Hopefully Black Friday/cyber Monday sales will all be junk so I don't feel tempted.

comfortable shoes.

I'll keep my dignity, thanks though.
To each his own, but there's no way you can tell that they are stretch denim + as a guy with large thigh muscles, I love the freedom of movement

1. Laptop with at least 256 gb hard drive
2. Microsoft office with one note
3. Additional computer monitor to watch lectures at home
4. Stethoscope
5. Thieme's atlas of anatomy
6. Thieme's anatomy flash card app
7. BRS physiology
8. Comfortable professional clothing
9. Britta water filter
10. A big ass whiteboard. This should probably be #1 actually
11. Whatever supplies you need to do your hobbies

Reactions: 4 users
1. Laptop with at least 256 gb hard drive
2. Microsoft office with one note
3. Additional computer monitor to watch lectures at home
4. Stethoscope
5. Thieme's atlas of anatomy
6. Thieme's anatomy flash card app
7. BRS physiology
8. Comfortable professional clothing
9. Britta water filter
11. Whatever supplies you need to do your hobbies
Bolded were supplied by my school. I know many other schools at least supply a stethoscope. So I'd generally hold off on that one.

No, but I prefer to watch Netflix on my iPad and read kindle on my iPad. The essential anatomy app is actually better on the computer, but it's also more expensive.

Which app is this ?

Wow I didn't even think of that one. Thanks for the recommendation! It totally works since drawing things out on a large space makes it much easier to visualize as opposed to drawing things on a piece of paper.

If you are buying a Mac, upgrade the hardware so that it can keep up with the next few software updates. This will add a few years to the life of the computer if you treat it well.

A big ass whiteboard. This should probably be #1 actually

Housemate put up a huge almost-classroom-sized white board on the wall next to our dining room table. I was skeptical at first of the need for its size, but it has been a great tool. I'm not home right now, but I'd guess it's about 72" x 48".

this is a bit off topic, but relevant: When selecting housing, select something with a washer/dryer in the unit. You don't want to have to deal with apt common laundry rooms or, worse, laundromats.

What classes do you use the whiteboard for? The only class I've used a whiteboard for is Ochem for mechanisms.

Housemate put up a huge almost-classroom-sized white board on the wall next to our dining room table. I was skeptical at first of the need for its size, but it has been a great tool. I'm not home right now, but I'd guess it's about 72" x 48".

this is a bit off topic, but relevant: When selecting housing, select something with a washer/dryer in the unit. You don't want to have to deal with apt common laundry rooms or, worse, laundromats.

dishwashing machines too if possible

Whiteboards are insanely useful for everything from pathways to anatomy (aka more pathways) to doing problems, to writing notes. It's the one thing I don't have that I really wish I did. Good thing we have a ton around campus that we can use if we need to.

Why is everyone suggesting apple products? Is there something wrong with a cheaper PC?

Because they don't know that PC = master race

pc-amp-gt-console_o_2537763.jpg

What classes do you use the whiteboard for? The only class I've used a whiteboard for is Ochem for mechanisms.
Literally everything. Draw biochem pathways. Physiology pathways. Molecular bio pathways. Anatomy (branches of nerves and vessels). Tracts in neuroanatomy. Writing huge lists and tables for memorization purposes. A whiteboard is absolutely indispensable.